Author Topic: Brined pork butts  (Read 4027 times)

Sodaking27

Brined pork butts
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
Giving Tony's Brined pork butt recipe a go this weekend. Picked up two butts today. Made the brine mixture. Let cool and placed the 2 butts in the mixture. Plan on putting in the smoker tomorrow night at 10. Stayed tuned for pictures and progress.
Don from Maryland.
Saving my pennies for a 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brined pork butts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:31:01 PM »
Nice!  Let us know what you think! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokedGouda

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:03:16 AM »
I just put mine in! I followed the brine and rub recipes from Tony's Lazy Q guide too. I just didn't use a water pan this time (first smoke ever). I want to see what it's like without it so I have a better grasp on how it enhances the smoke when I add it to my next one. I can't wait to try it!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:23:42 AM by SmokedGouda »
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

Sodaking27

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
Brined, Rubbed and into the smoker at 9:30 last night. Currently at 185 this morning.
Don from Maryland.

Sodaking27

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »
190- Pulled, doubled wrapped and placed in the cooler to rest. Taste test while wrapping.... outstanding.
Don from Maryland.

Sodaking27

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »
Nice!  Let us know what you think! ;D

Ok I'm sold on brined shoulders. That was some of the best I've ever made. Super moist, with a great flavor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:57:41 PM by Sodaking27 »
Don from Maryland.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
Outstanding, Don!  Once you go brined, it's hard to go back to "regular" pork butts!  Nice job, indeed! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
190- Pulled, doubled wrapped and placed in the cooler to rest. Taste test while wrapping.... outstanding.

If I am reading this right are you saying that you pulled "prior" to resting? If so, you have it backward. You take the 190 degree smoked butt and double-wrap in foil and rest right out of the smoker. Then after 1-2 hours of rest, then you pull it. If you pull right away, the juices do not have time to absorb back into the meat and will just spill out into your pulling pan. I have rested for up to 6 hours and the meat was still too hot to pull by hand.

If I misread your post, my apologies. Just trying to make sure you had the process right.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »
BTW, regarding brining versus no brining, for Labor day I smoke a last minute pork butt that I did not have time to brine prior to smoking and the results were OK, but definitely inferior to a brined butt. This is the first non-brined butt that I have smoked for years and I could definitely taste the difference.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »

If I am reading this right are you saying that you pulled "prior" to resting? If so, you have it backward. You take the 190 degree smoked butt and double-wrap in foil and rest right out of the smoker. Then after 1-2 hours of rest, then you pull it.

Gregg, unless he meant "pulled" from the smoker? I know I use "pull" alot when I mean remove from the smoker. I've been trying not to use that term on butt-related posts, and use the word "remove" instead. It can be confusing.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:34 AM »

If I am reading this right are you saying that you pulled "prior" to resting? If so, you have it backward. You take the 190 degree smoked butt and double-wrap in foil and rest right out of the smoker. Then after 1-2 hours of rest, then you pull it.

Gregg, unless he meant "pulled" from the smoker? I know I use "pull" alot when I mean remove from the smoker. I've been trying not to use that term on butt-related posts, and use the word "remove" instead. It can be confusing.

Kari, you might be right. After rereading Don's post, I have a feeling that is what he meant. My reminder post is a good one for any others that may read and not know the correct process. I am sure Don will come back and confirm that he pulled after resting.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Sodaking27

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »

Sorry guys, You are correct I was referring to pulling from the smoker. Bad choice of a word. They were removed from the smoker at 190, wrapped and placed in a cooler to rest before pulling.
Don from Maryland.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »
Hehe, Don... I say that a lot, too!  We'll try not to pet the sweaty stuff so much!  ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas