Author Topic: Graduated from SI#1 to SI#2 ... Need some remedial help  (Read 3891 times)

Elliottbte

Graduated from SI#1 to SI#2 ... Need some remedial help
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:57 AM »
I upgraded in size to the SI#2 and had my first smoke with a 6# pork butt.  It didn't quite go like I planned and I'm wondering if things are just a bit different with the SI#2 or if I have a problem with the smoker.

As for set-up, I put a 6# bone-in butt (brined over night, slathered with mustard and a basic rub) on a higher shelf in the middle. I set up my Maverick 733 with a probe solidly in the butt, and the other on a shelf at the same level as the SI#2 temperature sensor but in the corner area, one inch off the back and side. 1" of apple juice in two mini loaf pans next to the fire box.  Used 2 chunks of hickory totaling 5.75 ounces, boated in foil.  Dailed in 225 and turned it on expecting about a 9 hr smoke to 195 based on my experience with brined butt in the SI#1.

Well, things didn't go as expected.  Temperature rose, much more quickly than I was used to, and kept climbing to over 280 with heavy smoke, which I assume was from the chunks catching fire but the heating coil was still "on".  I lowered the setting down to 200 thinking that maybe the dial was out of calibration.  Things settled in a bit from here, at least better level of smoke, although the temperature ranged +/- 40 from 230 degrees average, way more than the +/- 15 I was used to on the SI#1. As time went on though, the butt temperature just didn't rise as expected and stalled at 132 from hour 4-7.  I decided to crank the heat up another 25 degrees, and went another hour with very little change.  Since dinner time was approaching in another 2 hours, I cranked to up to 250.  I got the butt up to 170 (confirmed in a couple spots), took it out and rested in double wrap for an hour and then sliced it as it definitely didn't pull.  It was EH ....... even dry in spots.  There were no drippings in the pan under the smoker (yes, I poked the hole through the foil liner), and my loaf pans had very little fluid when in the past I had quite a bit, I assume from catching brine moisture.

Observations/Questions:
1. Should the SI#2 really be loaded with more meat than a 6# to provide more of a heat sink?
2. Was my smoker temp probe in a "bad" spot, making temperature and range more than it really was?
3. How do I keep wood from igniting, given I boated it, and this same wood cut from my own property (no box store), and never had an issue on the SI#1?
4. Could the thermostat controller be faulty given the high range?  I know I can adjust the knob to "calibrate".  I understand that temperature swings happen, but what would be the appropriate test to determine my smoker is operating as it should?
5. What else could be an issue compared with how I always used the SI#1?

I appreciate any help in trouble shooting based on my too lengthy (sorry about that) comments above. Or maybe this was just one of those bad smokes that can happen, except I never expect one on my Lazy Q !!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:43:45 AM by Elliottbte »
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Graduated from SI#1 to SI#2 ... Need some remedial help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:00:28 AM »
Can't say what is going on.  The 2 has a higher wattage element so that could register a higher swing but I would place the probe up toward the top center.  I take butts to 190/195 and they pull nicely.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
1.5 hours per pound is on the low side of normal. I always allow for 2 hours per pound and start my smokes the night before at 11:00pm-12:00am.

Sub 7 lb butts tend to take longer too. I would recommend a minimum of 7lb butt going forward with 8+ preferred.

It is pretty well documented here on multiple posts smaller cuts of meat take longer and I think you are right that it is a heat sink issue.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Elliottbte

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »
1.5 hours per pound is on the low side of normal. I always allow for 2 hours per pound and start my smokes the night before at 11:00pm-12:00am.

Sub 7 lb butts tend to take longer too. I would recommend a minimum of 7lb butt going forward with 8+ preferred.

It is pretty well documented here on multiple posts smaller cuts of meat take longer and I think you are right that it is a heat sink issue.
Thanks Gregg .... any best practice to prevent combustion?  Maybe I didn't "boat" the chunks correctly.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
Hey Brad, If it's a standard #2 (I assume it is), stop chasing the temp swings.  A 6 lb butt will not smoke like a 8+ lb bone-in Boston butt.  Sucks, but they just don't.  Better to go bigger, and save the leftovers!

Remove the extra box probe, and just go by the meat probe.  Set the dial to 225-235, and watch your meat probe.  Believe me, the temps WILL average-out, over the length of the cook.  If you try to watch/chase the box temps, you will either a) realize that they probably will, eventually, average-out, or b) have a psychotic episode.  I prefer option a).

When you stop monitoring the box temp, start monitoring how long it takes to get meat to temp.  Is it inline with the guidelines, such as 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound on butts?  Then you're good!  Now, a 6 lb butt could take as long as 3 hours per pound!  Not sure of the science, but they do!  It's also possible you just had a bad butt....happens! 

And that bigger element?  Yeah, you'll have to get used to that!  It's amazing the difference between the 400 w one in the #1, and 800 watts in the 2!  Get good wood (like Smokinlicious), stay away from big box wood, and wrap the bottom half in foil, when in doubt.  Until your 2 gets good and seasoned, you can also add a layer of foil to the bottom of the smoke box to cut down on the airflow.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Elliottbte

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »
Hey Brad, If it's a standard #2 (I assume it is), stop chasing the temp swings.  A 6 lb butt will not smoke like a 8+ lb bone-in Boston butt.  Sucks, but they just don't.  Better to go bigger, and save the leftovers!

Remove the extra box probe, and just go by the meat probe.  Set the dial to 225-235, and watch your meat probe.  Believe me, the temps WILL average-out, over the length of the cook.  If you try to watch/chase the box temps, you will either a) realize that they probably will, eventually, average-out, or b) have a psychotic episode.  I prefer option a).

When you stop monitoring the box temp, start monitoring how long it takes to get meat to temp.  Is it inline with the guidelines, such as 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound on butts?  Then you're good!  Now, a 6 lb butt could take as long as 3 hours per pound!  Not sure of the science, but they do!  It's also possible you just had a bad butt....happens! 

And that bigger element?  Yeah, you'll have to get used to that!  It's amazing the difference between the 400 w one in the #1, and 800 watts in the 2!  Get good wood (like Smokinlicious), stay away from big box wood, and wrap the bottom half in foil, when in doubt.  Until your 2 gets good and seasoned, you can also add a layer of foil to the bottom of the smoke box to cut down on the airflow.

Thanks DM .... and yes, I have the standard #2.  I'll take the advice, but it's hard for someone that's a QA Engineer not to measure the smoker temp, if for no other reason to have the average be correct relative to what the knob says.  I did adjust/calibrate the knob on my old #1.  But I shall try to just close my eyes and trust the SI #2 !!!  I plan on ordering the Smokinlicious wood and wrapping any chunks more than I did the last one, and lining the bottom of the fire box with foil.   Final question ... why does the amount of seasoning affect the tendency to ignite the wood?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:24 AM »
Personally, I have never really been a fan of the foil boats or even foiling my smokebox unless using chips in which case I use my chip screen. But, that is just me because several have had success with this method.

I use Smokinlicious wood and either just go right to my smoking temp, or more often than not I do a ramp-up process where I smoke at 150 for 45 minutes, then bump the temp up to 225-235 for the rest of my smoke.

I have had the occasional "belch" even with my Smokinlicious wood, so I tend to use the ramp-up method more often than not unless I am in a hurry and rarely have any belches when using this method. That being said, I don't fret it if I do get a belch, and I definitely do not open the door to see what is happening. Opening the door is the worst thing you can do because it will allow for a rush of oxygen into the oxygen-starved environment and will increase the level of combustion. If you get a belch or a sudden spike in temp due to combustion, just leave things alone and the combustion will go out quickly and the temp will go back down and it won't impact your results.

Regarding the temp swings, I usually temp the box and the meat primarily because I have the two probed Maverick et-733 and figure why not use the box probe. That being said, I don't fret over the 20-30 degree temp swings that I see as they even out and the size of the swings really decreases as the smoke goes on. If smoking two butts, I probe both butts and start smoking around midnight and go to bed and sleep like a baby knowing that my SI #3 will hold my temperatures in the 20-30 degree range of what I have the dial set at.

Also, I don't monkey around with my temp dial trying to get it so it is exactly the same number of degrees below the set temp on the low end of the swing and the upper end of the swing. It really is just a waste of time to worry about such things. Just set at your desired temp and go. The only problem that I could see is a potential loss of power for whatever reason. Then my box probe would wake me up and tell me that I have a problem.

The last thing that I would mention is that you should be trying to find your hot/cold spot in your smoke box. Every smoker has spots that run a little hotter/colder than the rest of the box. My #3 has its hotspot toward the back of the smokebox and colder toward the front. So, I am careful to strategically place my wood away from the hotspot and more in the middle of the box for a higher temp butt/brisket/rib smoke (225-235). For lower temp smokes like fish, jerky, cheese, etc, I place my wood right on my hotspot to ensure that there is enough heat to make my wood smolder. If I tried to smoke some jerky at 145 and placed the wood on the colder spot of my smoke box, I wouldn't get a lot of smoke because just as my wood starts to smolder the element will start cycling on and off and my wood will not get enough heat. Whereas, placing the wood on my hotspot will start smoking faster and stay smoking when the element starts cycling on and off.

Let us know if you have any further questions. The best thing that you can do is just smoke a lot of food, take notes, and find the method that works the best for you. In the meantime, understand that you will probably be your own worst critic and your guests will get to enjoy your tests along the way and be none the wiser.

I feel like I have been just rambling here and maybe that is a sign that I should go to bed. Hopefully, some of this rambling is of use.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »
...What Gregg said!  ;)   As far as the seasoning effecting the frequency of combustion:  I'm not an engineer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;) ), but I would think it has to do with the overall heat sink effect of the creosote coating on the metal interior.  When the heat is full, the coating on the inside absorbs more heat, so it reduces the stark heat to the wood just enough to help.  I don't know, really, but I make up theories like that in my head...helps me rationalize the inexplicable. ???   One more thing - reduced airflow from around the door.  With good coating, the door seals tighter!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:57:20 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Elliottbte

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice ND and DM.  I'll just get back at it and get used to the #2 just like I did the #1.  I will find those smoker box hot spots, use the ramp technique, and invest in some Smokinalicious wood.  Next up will be brisket I think.  Hoping my local Costco has some good ones
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »
Just a quick update ... I just did some baby back ribs, listening to the advice given above.  I put them in, set the temp, and just let the SI#2 do its thing ....no monitoring temps.  Ribs came out great.  Next up a brisket in a couple weeks.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:00:54 AM »
Awesome! I am super happy to hear that we were able to get you back on track! Good luck on the brisket.
Gregg - Fargo, ND