Author Topic: Vegetarians comin' to dinner y'all! What's your favorite?  (Read 9318 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Vegetarians comin' to dinner y'all! What's your favorite?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »
Real late to the party on this one and interested to hear what you did.  A couple items that popped into my head were the Portobello mushrooms that SusieQ mentioned and vegan meatloaf or burger patties that meat eaters even seem to like. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
Portabella mushrooms on the grill, which I have done many times before. I'm not a vegetarian, but I love these myself, and make them pretty often. Marinate large caps in balsamic vinegar, garlic, chopped rosemary, olive oil. salt and pepper. Grill, and serve on a toasted bun with melted cheese (I like swiss, mozz or jack), slabs of roasted red pepper, romaine lettuce or arugula, mayo. Sorry, no clever ideas for smoking...yet.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 07:58:04 PM »
Bet the tree-hugging vegans were thrilled you didn't kill any animals for them. :o ;D ;D Bless their hearts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »
Bet the tree-hugging vegans were thrilled you didn't kill any animals for them. :o ;D ;D Bless their hearts!

Not vegan with the cheese and mayo. Vegans have to fend for themselves. I love my dairy and eggs. Funny thing is, my friends who were vegetarian 20 years ago are now all eating meat. Not a lot of meat, but there is not an aversion to it. I'm fine with vegetarians. I can respect that. It's the gluten-free people that make me crazy. We'll see how long that fad lasts. I've already seen many people I know who swore by it saying they were "gluten sensitive" now eating bread and pasta like there's no tomorrow. Guess they weren't as sensitive as they thought. ;D Everything in moderation as Julia used to say.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
As a carboholic, I have a much harder time feeding gluten free guests than vegetarians. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
Lol, I hear ya', Kari!  Yeah, there's a difference between veggies and vegans, for sure!  I agree about the whole gluten-free fad, too!  Can't even make great pizza crust without high-gluten flour! 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:42:59 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 02:12:34 PM »
LOL!!  :D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN