Author Topic: Sous vide smoked brisket experiment  (Read 8704 times)

Walt

Re: Sous vide smoked brisket experiment
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »
I do quite a bit of par smoking prior to braising items in a Dutch oven. I always smoke 1st & remove prior to the stall. This allows for all the rendered juices to accumulate in the pot & not in the bottom of the smoker. I have not done a brisket like this but Boston butts, Chuck roast, goat shoulder etc. I pull between 140 & 150IT. Whole chicken is also really good this way if you want to cook it down & shread it for tacos & such. The technique should be no different for SV.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Mr.Ed

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 04:04:38 PM »
Just got back from a trip to lands far away eating some fine Argentinian BBQ. They love their garlic but that's another book.
I wanted to do a different take on this Sous Vide brisket. Flats have always been a problem with moisture retention. So this Sous Vide cooking got me thinking. First I wanted to retain the moisture and 135 and 155 degrees pull more moisture from the brisket then what I was shooting for. I found a nice LEAN flat with 1/8" fat cap and removed most of that. I set The SV up for a 132 degree cook for 48 hours. My only prep was a heavy injection of homebrewed beef stock reduced. NOT a drop of salt because it also is a factor in pulling moisture from the meat. I didn't want it smoked first, again too much moisture loss for what I was trying to accomplish. After the 48 hours I placed it in the Si for only two hours at 225f.  Most of the smoke is imparted in those first couple of hours. The result was a wonderful tender JUICY brisket with a great smoked flavor.  The ground salt and pepper was added at the time of serving to my family and guest.  I served with my BBQ sauce, and Mr. Yoshida's sauce, both on the side for those that like that oriental flavor in their beef.
Overall comments "The best, most moist smoked brisket we ever ate"

Coming from a competition smoke background I had to rethink everything I had conditioned myself in during my BBQ circuit days. Well the chef in me won, and the SV technique was the tool to my success with this one. Oh, lets not forget the Si's contribution.   

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:58:24 PM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
No pics, Mr. Ed?  :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Mr.Ed

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »
Sorry, no photos this time. At least I corrected the spelling of juicy LOL.

I'll be doing another down the road ...I promise some photos.  :)
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.