Author Topic: I received molded wood. Should I refund?  (Read 3941 times)

3rdCoaster

I received molded wood. Should I refund?
« on: August 31, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
I recently ordered some hickory wood for my smoker from one of the most recommended online suppliers.

FedEx arrived with the cardboard box which I immediately opened and found that the majority of the chunks have mold on the cuts (pic attached).

I emailed the company with the attached photo and they said:
-a wire brush will take it off
-caused by no climate control during shipment
-I can have a refund, but don't reorder as there is no guarantee this wouldn't happen again

Any advice? Should I ask for a refund?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:56:21 PM by 3rdCoaster »
Steve
Model 1 owner
West Michigan

Grampy

Re: I received molded wood. Should I refund?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 04:40:28 PM »
Steve, you can do what you want to do but I would not worry about the little bit of surface mold. It is not going to cause any problems or effect your smoke in anyway. If you are really concerned about it you can sanitize the wood by mixing 1.5 oz. of white vinegar to 3 gallons of water. Be sure the wood is completely covered for 2 minutes, prior to removing and allowing to drip dry.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »
Hi Steve.
+1 on Jimmy's post.
Also your post begs the question.....who was the supplier?
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »
I ordered wood from Smokinlicious and some of the wood had mold.  The response was the same as yours.  I have used it, some with and some without the mold.  No problems either way.  And I realized that even if I received wood without mold, being stored for some months, it would probably start to mold anyway.  So it no longer bothers me.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Limey

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
I am allergic to mold and would find the above wood unacceptable and return it. Many folks on the forum worry endlessly about the moisture content of their wood and like a high moisture content. High moisture content grows mold. I use big box store wood, which is relatively dry, and have never had a mold or a belch problem, although I keep a chip screen in at all times. Even if you buy wood with a high moisture content it will soon dry out unless you keep a wet rag in with it. Realizing that I am in a small minority on this forum with this view I still think that this is one variable that I at least have not had to worry about.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
Follow Jimmy's advice, Steve.  You will still see some discoloration, but the vinegar kills the actual mold, so it won't be a problem.  Roger lives in Florida, and his big box wood is probably much more moist than in many other parts of the country!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:22 PM »
Mold can be a big deal to some and probably all of us.

I get the concern and I think the clean up will work................BUT

Their answer of -" I can have a refund, but don't reorder as there is no guarantee this wouldn't happen again" 

Might/should/probably/ put up red flags to an issue of wood they might be working through?

Their reputation to many that use them is probably only as good as the last log delivered.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

3rdCoaster

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »
Thanks for your responses. I have only ever used the chunks Steve sent with my Model #1 and they were nice and clean so this sort of surprised me. That and the fact I just paid 35 bucks for a small box of wood - a first for me haha.

Steve
Model 1 owner
West Michigan

Limey

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
Hey Tony, I had never thought about that but you are probably exactly right. At least Florida humidity has some uses! BTW only another 16 posts and you make the great 10K. Seriously though thank you for your dedication to this forum and all the help that you provide.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
Thank you, Roger! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
I am allergic to mold and would find the above wood unacceptable and return it. Many folks on the forum worry endlessly about the moisture content of their wood and like a high moisture content. High moisture content grows mold. I use big box store wood, which is relatively dry, and have never had a mold or a belch problem, although I keep a chip screen in at all times. Even if you buy wood with a high moisture content it will soon dry out unless you keep a wet rag in with it. Realizing that I am in a small minority on this forum with this view I still think that this is one variable that I at least have not had to worry about.

I am also allergic to mold but never thought about it when smoking.  Nevertheless, so far I've had no problems.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC