Author Topic: Does anyone here use this product?  (Read 2814 times)

drains

Does anyone here use this product?
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
I want to make snack sticks and maybe summer sausage but don't want to spend a lot on getting started so I ran across this and it gets good reviews:

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/jerky-cannon/jerky-cannon-gun-accessories

Thanks
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Does anyone here use this product?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
I have one and it works awesome. I would strongly recommend the double tip if you do larger batches. It saves a lot of time.

I haven't used mine in awhile now, but it works flawlessly.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

drains

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
Thanks Jason. What size casings do you use for snack sticks? I was reading up on making them and saw a comment where someone using the included 1/2 inch stuffing tube that comes with the jerky canon had trouble getting it to work with 19mm collagen casings. I checked and the next size bigger is 21mm. Thanks again.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
Dale, I believe you meant Gregg and not Jason.  ;D I have used both sizes but I prefer the 19 mm the best. I think Gregg uses the 21 mm size. I am sure he will chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Gregg definitely has a lot of experience in making snack sticks and you can trust what he tells you.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »
Sorry, I did mean Gregg. I read some previous posts and sure enough Gregg said in one post he likes 21mm. I should have done that first. I got a lot of my questions answered. Thanks  for the heads up Grampy.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »
Hey guys,

Yeah, I do use the 21s for a couple of reasons.
  • I smoke 25lbs at a time, and I would not be able to fit all 25 lbs of my sticks in my smoker at the same time if I used smaller casings.
  • I have a 15lb hand-crank stuffer that has trouble enough pushing meat through my 21mm stuffing tube. Pushing my meat mixture through a 19mm stuffing tube would be really hard to crank and would be hard on the stuffer gear system. I have heard that the 5lb stuffers handle the smaller tubes way better than the larger ones. Not sure why, but it seems to be a common recommendation
I actually would kind of like to do some smaller sticks some time, but would either have to get a smaller stuffer or use my Jerky Cannon and then smoke in smaller batches.

Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

kt29

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:50:45 PM »
I also use the 21 mm casings.  I have several stuffers, but the five pound LEM stuffs the smaller casings as smooth as silk. Purchased a smaller stainless steel tube to use with the LEM for these casings.
Terry from North Idaho