Author Topic: No don't hit me...just yet anyway!  (Read 4946 times)

EFGM

No don't hit me...just yet anyway!
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »
In the smoke, 3 Racks of Baby Backs! Yes with Grandma's Original Molasses. Then covered with FE Championship Rub. One rack (on the left) I put a sprinkling of Tatonka Dust on top of that. First time I have experimented with my BB's in several years. Remember, no hitting, set at 275* and will bend and toothpick test at the3 hour mark. In the smoker the middle rack has the Tatonka Dust on it.

Just kidding about the hitting!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:33:47 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: No don't hit me...just yet anyway!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »
Looks good, 3 hours might be a bit anxious but I dont cook at 275 for ribs.  5 to 6 hours at 230 or so for fat ones you have pictured.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »
Waiting to hear the outcome cooked @ 275.
They look great!
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:34:45 PM »
Out at 3 hour mark. Resting now will post cut pictures later.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »
Oh Oh Oh!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
They look delicious! And moist!
Can we all get full details on what ya did?
And what the ribs are like? How the out side texture is?
Did you pre heat?
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:19:09 PM by Dead👁Daniel »
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
They look great, Doug!  I've never known anyone to smoke ribs at 275, so I'm interested in how the tenderness compares to ribs at the usual 225-235.  Ribs are tough meat, and hard to get tender, so they benefit from the "low and slow" approach.  I wonder what the edge of the envelope is for "too high," in regards to tenderness.  I've known lots of folks that do 250, but never up to 275.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
John, the ribs were delicious and moist as you noted in the pictures.

DETAILS ON WHAT I DID...
Prep was pretty standard i guess, washed and trimmed any unwanted small pieces, very little. Applied Grandmas Original Molasses and then put on my go to Rib Rub. Only thing I did different this time was on one rack on top of my go to Rub, I sprinkled some Tatonka Dust as a test to see how we liked it.
Will advise on that down the road. Went directly into smoker with no sit time, I usually let them set with rub for an hour or two. Time is shorter I have found since retirement. Did NOT preheat, set auber to 275* and waited the 3 hours. At the 3 hour point I checked for doneness and pulled the 3 Racks. I fought the temptation to immediately taste test and let them rest for 15 minutes
before cutting off 3 ribs. Tender and Moist they were as you noted. Now Tony, I can't speak as to a comparison between tenderness at the usual 225-235 as I have not done that temp in years and my memory fades. Will have to do a test to compare and  next time if someone doesn't do it before then. I know when I was working I would deliver 10 racks to a customer over in East Texas
for his company Christmas Party and they really wish I had not retired. Hopefully for more reasons than the Ribs, but they do miss them.
The wife and I got a last minute BS Gig, so we grabbed a can of beans and a rack and headed out. After the 3 month old Grandson went down, we dug into the ribs. She rated the tenderness on a scale of 1-10 at a 8.5. I gave them a 9. Left some for the Son in Law with a request/requirement of his rating as well. Will pass that along. Forgot to mention I don't sauce my ribs while smoking, nor use sauce on them while eating. Used to but I found that with this rub and smoking at 275, I personally like them just the way they were. 75% of the employees of the company I used to take them to also did not use sauce on them. I found that interesting, but don't know that it really means anything except everyone is different.
Where did I get the idea of cooking Ribs at 275* That's another story. More tenderness ratings to come. BTW, I have never Vacuum packed Ribs and
reheated later so any input on that would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:49:18 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »
That's what I was looking for, Doug!  Great to know about the tenderness.  I just may have to try some 275 ribs to see for myself!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
I think you should give it a try. Only change being the temp, use your regular favorite rub. Here's some pictures of the rack I sprinkled Tatonka Dust on. Reheated in oven. I'd give tenderness on this rack a 9.5!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
Hmmm, Doug. If it got more tender by warming in the oven did it maybe need a tad more time than 3 hours? Just wondering. I am intrigued with a faster way to do ribs if it turns out the same.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

EFGM

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:13 PM »
Hmmm, Doug. If it got more tender by warming in the oven did it maybe need a tad more time than 3 hours? Just wondering. I am intrigued with a faster way to do ribs if it turns out the same.  8)

Possibly! However that was a different rack which could account for the difference. One note to point out is with the Auber you can maintain the even temp setting and without as you know you will have the varying temps with a average. So I guess what I'm trying to say is without the Auber and set at 250, you will have swings from say 230 to 270. So that's ok too. If my swing temps are incorrect someone please correct me on that. Also to note I check for doneness at 3 hours. It could be they might take longer (31/2 hours) for a given slab. Most of mine have been closer to the 3 hour mark with some at 3:15 3:20. Like most meat, it's done when it's done. Tell you what Bob, you try a rack at 275 and if you don't like the results, I'll treat you to a rack on one of my visits up there. (I have told Bob my daughter, husband are moving to his area and of course taking my grandson with them) and one more note for you that sauce, a little extra time for adding sauce must be factored in at some point. I'm not a sauce guy so I can't advise to do it before them being done or after.  trying something new adds back some excitement back into it.
You guys have caused me to create a list of new things to try and I have learned new things as well. Not to change the subject but THANKS everyone!
My fingers tired and I through babbling, lol
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:58 PM »
My ribs the day after always turn out better on the gasser. 

My hunch is its something to do with the "fat release" which is obviously not a food science term.

That could be the difference in what you made in the over the day after.

This might not be apples to apples but if you make sausage or chicken in the SI I've noticed that a transfer to a gas grill helps release some things OUT of the meat that the "dry" SI does not get out.  Dry being a loose term and not a rip.

I can hear the harpoons ready to spear, but just remember the SI smoker after 2 to 3 hours of the wood burning out............you might as well put the meat in any regular oven to finish the job at 225 250 or 275 whatever your set temp.

Its a great small oven that happens to burn wood before the wood burns out.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

EFGM

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
Well, remember I reheated them in the oven, not a gasser so I don't know if that would be the situation in my case. Tonight we will finish off the 2nd Rack (With the Tatonka Dust), the remains of the 1st stayed at my daughters house. It is just possible as Bob said going a little longer could have made the difference and if that's the case it should show up again tonight as it will even be a little longer. No harpoons ready to spear here!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »
Funny thing about "day after" ribs.... I absolutely love to eat them cold!  They're like cold fried chicken.  The smoke taste is better, and they just taste great.  I get a bag out, with the intention of heating them, but start gnawing on them right out of the bag, and before you know it, I'm done!  I'm probably weird, that way, but I actually prefer them over hot!
Tony from NW Arkansas