Author Topic: Old mule BBQ sauce????  (Read 11600 times)

curegeorg

Re: Old mule BBQ sauce????
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
So you're saying these are kind of neutral/moderate flavors?  I may see if I can find them locally.  A good ways away from where they make it, but still in the same state!  I want a good mustard sauce.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
Coolio now has me scared to order it! I like a thicker bbq sauce like sweet baby rays and head country original.
Last night I tried for the first time bone sucking sauce (thicker style) and it didn't really impress me. It's a thinner sauce and I had it cold with wing dings.
I know with a lot of bbq sauce the the taste can change when it's cooked on the food your eating.
I'm kinda a bbq sauce nut as the buddy's say I go over board on the sauce.    Last year at one time I had 75 pounds of bbq sauce.
I have tried making bbq sauce but have found one to my liking and always end up grabbing my go to sauce sweet baby rays.

John, I also live in NC and agree with Coolio's post.  However, I have many relatives in Richmond, VA and visit often.  Their are 2 places there that have always gotten rave reviews, and I think their bbq sauces are excellent.  You can order online.  Buz and Ned's barbeque sauce and their pork and chicken glaze are staples in my kitchen.  The other restaurant is  called Q Barbeque.  They have 3 different types.  My husband likes the hot one.  Sauces from Buz and Ned's and Q Barbeque are both thick.  Q sauce is a bit sweeter with a little more heat.  I too tried making my own, and my husband really liked it but after trying it several times, it just seemed to lack something.  I will try again sometime.  Good hunting.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »
John,

I'm interested to hear your take on these sauces.  My wife wasn't part of my taste test, but I asked her to sample the mustard one and she loved it as a dip.  Been traveling, so I haven't smoked anything in a few days.  Brisket next (sorry to read your post about a failed briskie recently).

Ok will do but it might be awhile cause I have a gallon of sweet baby rays and a gallon of head country open now.
I looked at those sauces Susie but on the Q bbq sauce I put a picture up to make sure I'm looking at what you said.
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
John,

I'm interested to hear your take on these sauces.  My wife wasn't part of my taste test, but I asked her to sample the mustard one and she loved it as a dip.  Been traveling, so I haven't smoked anything in a few days.  Brisket next (sorry to read your post about a failed briskie recently).

Ok will do but it might be awhile cause I have a gallon of sweet baby rays and a gallon of head country open now.
I looked at those sauces Susie but on the Q bbq sauce I put a picture up to make sure I'm looking at what you said.

Yep! That's the Q sauce with the pig snout on the label.  Be sure to check out Buz and Ned's bbq sauce as well as the glaze which I use frequently, even on fish.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
Ok thanks.
Received my half gallons of old mule today.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
Deron which old mule you think would be best on pork tenderloin?  Testing out the new probe on the loin for a quick test to make sure smoker is working properly.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

flying smoker

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »
I liked the "full kick" the best.  It's the spicier version of the "half kick".  I think it would be good as an after smoke sauce.  It may disappear as the binder or marinade.
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 03:45:03 PM »
Well I opened the old mule hot and boy does have some kick. It was to hot for my ole lady but me and buddy really liked it!
I don't like hot hot stuff and this is right at my limits.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot