Author Topic: Frozen chicken breast  (Read 2998 times)

prudentsmoker

Frozen chicken breast
« on: August 19, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »
Just wanted to share (since I could not find any info anywhere else) that I put frozen chicken breast in for two hours at 160 and it came out perfect.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Frozen chicken breast
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:06:26 PM »
Cool!  I add 30 minutes, to the cook time, for anything that goes in frozen, and it works great.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

flying smoker

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:40:33 PM »
Prudent smoker:

were you able to probe the frozen breasts or did you stick them with an instant probe to check the IT (or did you just "wing it"  ::))?

is there a need to increase the amount of wood?  I ask b/c it seems frozen meat wouldn't take smoke (although I have no idea at what temp it would begin absorbing smoke...).

were the breasts brined before they were frozen or were they straight from the store to the smoker?  were you able to put a rub on them while they were frozen or did you apply after?

I apologize for the multiple questions, but throwing frozen meat into the SI and pulling out a cooked meal is extremely enticing to me.  I appreciate any data you can throw my way.
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:11:56 AM »
Prudent smoker:

were you able to probe the frozen breasts or did you stick them with an instant probe to check the IT (or did you just "wing it"  ::))?

is there a need to increase the amount of wood?  I ask b/c it seems frozen meat wouldn't take smoke (although I have no idea at what temp it would begin absorbing smoke...).

were the breasts brined before they were frozen or were they straight from the store to the smoker?  were you able to put a rub on them while they were frozen or did you apply after?

I apologize for the multiple questions, but throwing frozen meat into the SI and pulling out a cooked meal is extremely enticing to me.  I appreciate any data you can throw my way.

Deron, the post is in the "Sous Vide" topic section, so she is referring to putting the food into a sous vide bath frozen, not the smoker. I forget to look at the topic all the time too. I don't know if anyone has ever tried putting something in the smoker frozen, but that's an interesting question. I put things into the sous vide frozen all the time, and it works great. You can throw it in, and since you don't have to be very careful about cooking it too long, you know it will be at just the right temp when you are ready to eat.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:02:11 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

flying smoker

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
Thanks SconnieQ....I TOTALLY missed that  :-[

My apologies to all.
Deron from SW Tennessee

SI 2
Weber Spirit
Maverick ET-733

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »
Hmm... Wonder what putting frozen meat in the smoker would do for smoke penetration?  I may have to try this, just for fun! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!