Author Topic: Brisket  (Read 2925 times)

Hiram

Brisket
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:18 PM »
The brisket flat has always been my downfall, the point comes out fine but the flat is either tough or dry. After doing a few chucks 1 of which i did the water bath bath first and the other smoke then bath I decided on the latter for flavor and tenderness. I was only going for 2.5 hrs. of smoke or 150 which ever came first.
Not much smoke time so I selected mesquite which i normally don't use as it's awfully strong but should be OK for two hours, the flat was put in straight from the fridge after seasoning. The meat temp was 45 degrees by the probe when I put it in at 200. It took 2.5 hrs. to reach 150 at which time I sealed it and into the bath for 72 hrs.
This was a flat from restaurant depot marked " Black Angus" but I assume it's just a USDA choice. The end result was great, tender, juicy and had a good smoke flavor as the mesquite wasn't overpowering. My wife even liked it and she's my biggest critic, I'll always smoke first then in the bath as the chuck and this brisket was better than vice versa.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:24:26 PM »
Seems like smoke first, sous vide second might be a good plan.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:30 PM »
What temp did you SV it at?  Smoke, then SV worked for me, on pastrami, but I haven't tried a regular brisket that way.  One tip - before applying rub, dust your meat with Morton's TenderQuick for 15-30 min, then rinse well, pat dry, and apply your binder/rub.  You'll get a killer "faux" smoke ring on the finished brisket, and that looks like BBQ!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hiram

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 08:41:34 AM »
I ran the water bath at 132 for 72 hrs, I've done chucks at 140-142 but found at higher temps you have more moisture (juice ) leaving the product in the bag. I guess it's the same as smoking low and slow. Giving it 2.5 to 3 hrs. smoke then putting it in the water bath and forgetting about for 72 is the ticket for me. I always put the meat in the smoker right out of the fridge as they say after 140 degrees meat stops taking smoke.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »
Thanks, Hiram!  Go for the TQ smoke ring, and that sucker will not only be perfect, but will have a beautiful smoke ring, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!