Author Topic: Sous Vide Smoked Brisket  (Read 7947 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Sous Vide Smoked Brisket
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:53 AM »
So, I'm trying something new today that I've never tried before. Got a ~18 lb packer brisket and cut it up in basically 3rd's and trimmed. Made some a few batches of peppercorns grounded coarse (1/3rd cup), mixed with 1/4 cup kosher salt, and 6 grams of pink salt. Rubbed into briskets and sealed them into 3 foodsaver bags. Letting them currently rest 3-4 hours in the fridge to get the faux smoke ring action going from the pink salt. Set sous vide controller to 155 degrees and plan to bathe in the water for 24-36 hours. Will then chill in fridge a few days before smoking in the SI2 for a finish.

Did not brine or inject and hoping the sous vide contains the moisture well for the final product. Got the idea from this:

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-smoked-brisket?utm_source=01.+Primary+Marketing+List&utm_campaign=3b83e10cd1-Sous_Vide_BBQ_Brisket8_7_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f33347b916-3b83e10cd1-100427081&mc_cid=3b83e10cd1&mc_eid=8da3b79228
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Sous Vide Smoked Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
That should be interesting Tony.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
I saw this, and was intrigued.  Can't wait to hear your results!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:19:13 PM »
I'm thinking that the pink salt will continue to cure over the long rest in fridge, and sous vide, so that you might end up with something more like pastrami? I also saw the Anova recipe, and was also intrigued, but I wondered if smoking first, then into the bath might be better? Smoke first, sous vide second might help the smoke penetrate the meat, and mellow? I await your results. Either way, I like the idea of incorporating sous vide into brisket for a maybe a medium-rare...but tender brisket experience? Something completely new?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:23:13 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »
Kari, I smoked a pastrami first, then finished SV...worked great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »
"Either way, I like the idea of incorporating sous vide into brisket for a maybe a medium-rare...but tender brisket experience? Something completely new?"

Medium rare brisket... I love it! Imagine putting that on a judges' table at a BBQ competition!!! :o  ;D
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »
Medium rare brisket... I love it! Imagine putting that on a judges' table at a BBQ competition!!! :o ;D

Too bad it would never be allowed!  They don't like our smokers (unfair advantage), and certainly wouldn't like something finished SV!  It's about the show, not the ultimate taste of the food, in the competitions!  Too bad...
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »
So, I had to cut it into 3rd's to fit into foodsaver bags but here's the start pics and after they were Sous Vide cooked. I'll be doing the smoke sometime soon. Was busy this weekend eating fried cajun chicken on a stick, fried snicker's bar, and other great stuff at the Iowa State Fair.

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
Hey T, did you do a reverse-sear, after the SV, to firm-up the exterior?
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
No reverse sear. Smoked about 3.5 hours today,  let rest 1 hour and sliced for the company we had over. It turned out pretty good and was super moist. The point was just oozing juice as I sliced it.

I did save some of the juices and simmered them down with some bbq sauce. The company really enjoyed the brisket. I wouldn't put it at my best brisket but it is close. I think I could  improve on some future attempts. I should have removed them from bags after the sous vide and smoked sooner. Instacure got set in pretty deep.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:39:17 PM by TmanEater »

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
Looks really good, T!  I thought that was a lot of pink salt, for a long bath.  I think, when I try this, I will do the 20-30 min of TenderQuick, rinse, season and seal in the bag.  That should limit the ring to a reasonable depth.  I think the person that wrote this recipe, for Anova, may not have really understood the dynamics of curing salt.  Their recommendation, in the recipe, is way too much (imo).  A little goes a long ways, and the more time it soaks, the deeper it goes! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:07 AM »
Looks really good, T!  I thought that was a lot of pink salt, for a long bath.  I think, when I try this, I will do the 20-30 min of TenderQuick, rinse, season and seal in the bag.  That should limit the ring to a reasonable depth.  I think the person that wrote this recipe, for Anova, may not have really understood the dynamics of curing salt.  Their recommendation, in the recipe, is way too much (imo).  A little goes a long ways, and the more time it soaks, the deeper it goes!

I agree that the recipe might be flawed when it comes to the way the pink salt cure is used. I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought it sounded like the cure was going to end up going too far and looking like pastrami. Didn't sound right to me. I think going with the TenderQuick dusting, then rinsing off is the way to go. I still wonder if switching the order, smoking first for a few hours (a low-temp smoke), then into the bath (131 for 3 days), might infuse the smoke flavor into the meat. Then a quick sear? Maybe end up with a medium rare tender brisket? Could be worth a try on a flat someday.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »
As I have said here before, I have had the best luck with steaks if I smoke them to 110 then reverse sear. I would think something along these lines would work well with SV brisket. Just my .02 cents worth.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:57 PM »
I did a pastrami by smoking for 5 hours, then SV for 2 days, then a quick reverse-sear in a 550° oven.  Smoke flavor was great, and it was tender and juicy.  Here's the post....just don't worry about the color of the meat; not sure why it's so red/magenta!  It was really red, but some have told me their pics are magenta!

When I do a brisket, I'll probably do it the same way (minus the brining to cure).

Smoked and Sous Vide Pastrami
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »
Hey Tony, approximately how many minutes in the 550 degree oven do you reverse sear for? I have a 3.25 lb brisket flat I'm doing today. I've tenderquicked it for ~45 mins. I'll rinse it off, season a little bit with salt/pepper and throw in the smoker at 200 for 2-3 hours. Then I'll pull from smoker, bag it in vacuum sealed chamber, and put into the sous vide pot at 155 for 24-30 hours. After this I'll try the reverse sear per your suggestion.

Tony from Marion, IA