Author Topic: Cart/Cabinet for #1?  (Read 3790 times)

Suzie-Q

Cart/Cabinet for #1?
« on: August 12, 2016, 03:50:47 PM »
Does anyone have either the cart or cabinet for their #1?  Is it worth the investment?  I've had my unit for 2 years now and a higher platform might be better for my old back.  Suggestions?[/color][/b]

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Cart/Cabinet for #1?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
Sue, I have the SI cart for my #2, but the #1 is light enough you can darn near set it on any table high enough.  The cart is great, though, because it's on wheels!  SI also currently has the new enclosed "Norman" cart on sale.

Norman Cart
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Gene

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
There is a topic in the Upgrades section of this forum with lots of info on alternative carts if interested.  I read through it and decided to try to make a table for my Model 1 this weekend.  Here is what I came up with.  Pretty basic but it does have a slide out shelf that can hold the aluminum pans I use.
I tried to keep it as light as I could since I store it and my smoker in the garage and carry them up to the porch when I smoke.  Shelves and a door could be added easily if it was more permanent.

Model 1
Central Illinois

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
Wow, nice.  Well done. How tall is it?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Gene

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
Wow, nice.  Well done. How tall is it?

Thanks Eric,  The bottom part is a 2'X 2' cube.  I covered the open space on the top of it with a 20 " X 20" X 1/2" piece of plywood.  Then the shelf assembly is about 2 1/2".  Another 20 " X 20" X 1/2" piece of plywood sits on that.  Finally, the rails that keep the smoker from rolling off is 3/4" high.

All in all, it's about 28" tall where the smoker sits.

Since I don't have any kids or animals running around here (and in the interest of keeping it as light as possible) I didn't bother to put in any braces to stabilize it on the cube.  It seems sturdy enough for my use though.

Yesterday I smoked some pork chops and cleaned out the smoker this morning and it was so much easier working with it than when it was on the ground. 
Model 1
Central Illinois

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
Excellent work Gene!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

elk_smoker

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »
Suzie-q,

I placed my father-in-law's #1 on a commercial grade wire cart I purchased at Sam's. It worked great. The smoker and cart are completely stable and the ability to adjust the height of the individual racks will allow you to get the height of the smoker nearly perfect for you. Plus, the extra shelves are handy for storing your wood, unused smoker racks, etc...

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/36-in-wire-shelving-esc-361840c/prod20353052
I never fail. I succeed at finding what does not work.

Smokin-IT Model 3,  Cajun Grill Super Cajun w/offset Firebox,  Southwest Smokers Portable Smoker/Grill, Backyard Steakhouse Infrared Grill,  Charbroil Big Easy Infrared Fryer

Kevin from S.E. Louisiana