Author Topic: Help a brother out? First Brisket  (Read 4633 times)

valkyrk

Help a brother out? First Brisket
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »
Ok, I've read this forum until my eyes cross and am possibly more confused than when I started (confusion comes easily these days).

New SI2 owner, just cranked up my second smoke of ribs using Memphis Dust as the rub - good stuff!

I was at Costco recently and found a prime 15 lb. + packer, the smallest they had. I'm resting it for a couple of weeks in the fridge and planning a near end of summer poolside feast with some friends and family. I have questions about how best to proceed and hope by posting them I'll get some consensus to guide the smoke.

#1- If I can't get the trimmed packer to fit, will I lose a lot of flavor/moisture if I have to cut it in half and use two shelves?

#2 - I get the sense from posts I've read that the SI smoker is so tight that if I have a pan of water in it, I don't need to crutch it at the stall. Is this true? Just smoke/cook to 195 - 198, double wrap and rest in a cooler for a couple of hours?

#3 - Anyone ever cut off the point and smoke separate from the flat with burnt ends in mind? How'd that work out?

#4 - I'm thinking about a riff on a dalmation rub, no sugar (don't think that beef benefits that much from it), but maybe some chipotle and granulated garlic. Anyone have a rub they'd recommend that's close?

#5 - Speaking of a simple dalmation rub, will that develop a good bark? Seems as though you'd need more components to the rub, but what do I know. I'm not even sure what process forms the bark, just know I like it.

So, thanks in advance for thoughts, advice or cautions, I'm looking forward to hearing from the more experienced crowd.
Kirk in Porkopolis
SI#2
Kamado
Oklahoma Joe offset
'97 Valkyrie Tourer

drains

Re: Help a brother out? First Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
 One of the things that makes the #3 attractive is the ability to smoke full size packer briskets and whole slabs of ribs without cutting them. With the #1 and #2 some adjustments are needed. With the #2 you may be able to simply curl one end up and smoke it that way and as the brisket cooks it shrinks around 25%. You can also just lop off the end of the point and cook it separately. Lay out one of your racks and then put the brisket on top and see how far it hangs over then remove that much of the point. Shouldnt be that much. It would make some great burnt ends.
A pan of liquid of your choice on the bottom of the smoker up against the smoke box is pretty common even recommended. Dont put it anywhere else, like on one of the racks as it screws up the temp control. Crutching is not needed, only patience. The only time I would consider foil is if I was smoking a brisket with an exceptionally thin flat where the possibility of it getting done way before the point and drying out was there and then i would only wrap the flat. However I make it a point not to buy briskets with overly thin flats. I like them an inch thick minimum.
Dalmation rubs are common and are just 50/50 salt and pepper and make great bark. Some of the best pitt masters use it and nothing else. Play around with it learn what you like and what works best for you. Bark is a result of the Maillard reaction, browning that occurs when meat is roasted or seared or a variation of it. Wrapping the brisket in foil will compromise the bark as it will be to moist to form properly. It wont be crisp but will most likely be a bit too moist, for me anyway. I dont recommend separating the flat and the point because there is a ribbon of fat between the two and this fat melts and bastes it from the inside, thats a good thing. Dont make the mistake of overthinking things and just enjoy the experience. Good luck!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »
Lay out one of your racks and then put the brisket on top and see how far it hangs over then remove that much of the point. Shouldnt be that much. It would make some great burnt ends.

Nice techniques but I disagree with the application. I would cut from the flat end to get it to fit the rack. Flats generally taper off pretty severe and taking it back a few inches would give the brisket more uniform mass.

Take the flat you trimmed and grind it for a nice burger. As you enjoy that burger contemplate if it was a good idea not to get a #3.

Good luck with it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

drains

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
Thanks Brian. There you go Kirk, a nugget of wisdom from a real pitmaster. Brian cooks briskets, among other delicacies, professionally. If I were you I'd definitely listen to him.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:59:53 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
Thanks Brian. There you go Kirk, a nugget of wisdom from a real pitmaster. Brian cooks briskets, among other delicacies, professionally. If I were you I'd definitely listen to him.

+1!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »
Kirk,

Let's see a picture of your Valk!  I had a '99 standard for about 10 years. Finally had to sell her last year. Sure do miss her!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:54:08 PM »
Kirk, I've smoked an uncut 14 lb briskie in my #2.  Depending on the length (some are longer than others, even at the same weight), I agree that you trim the flat end (the very end of the flat usually overcooks a bit, anyways).  And, don't be afraid to put it in at an angle, and let the ends bend up the back and door a bit (cram it in there).  Briskets shrink pretty quickly, and an overstuffed briskie will soon fit the shelf just fine!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 06:49:37 AM »
One other solution is to also put a empty cola can under the brisket. After it shrinks a bit you can remove it. Although it means you will be opening the door one time for this. Only had to do this one time but it worked out ok.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
One other solution is to also put a empty cola can under the brisket. After it shrinks a bit you can remove it. Although it means you will be opening the door one time for this. Only had to do this one time but it worked out ok.

Darn good idea!  Never would have thought of that!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

valkyrk

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »
Thanks to all, some great suggestions.
Kirk in Porkopolis
SI#2
Kamado
Oklahoma Joe offset
'97 Valkyrie Tourer

Elliottbte

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »

Experience has shown me it's better to start with a cold full beer can, open/drink beer, then use empty can under the brisket !!
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »

Experience has shown me it's better to start with a cold full beer can, open/drink beer, then use empty can under the brisket !!

+1!!!!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

EFGM

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »
I was wondering when that alternate can source would be brought to his attention. LOL
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »
I was wondering when that alternate can source would be brought to his attention. LOL

Would there be any other way to use a beer can for a prop?  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas