Author Topic: Stainless racks  (Read 4008 times)

John churn

Stainless racks
« on: August 05, 2016, 07:43:07 PM »
I have been smoking since Dec. I always change the tin foil in the grease pan,bottom, and cover the wood box after each use.

I usually don't put the 3 racks in the dish washer or wash them. Doesn't seem to be a problem, so far. I usually put the cover back on the next day and store the unit beside the grill. Nice looking combo I might add.
Sometimes it might be couple of weeks between uses. The other day when I took the cover off I saw some ants hanging around the vent hole. When I looked inside there were none. Now I am rethinking maybe I should wash the racks after each use.

Opinions

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Stainless racks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »
My racks are hand washed after each use. I do so because there is no high heat like from my grill to burn off stuff.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »
Wash the shelves after each smoke, remove the foil, and wipe down the excess grease inside.  Also, dump/wash the drip pan.  If not, you'll get what you found...ants and other bugs, especially this time of year!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

John churn

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »
Got it . I figured as much.  Thanks for helping

Mr.Ed

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
Remember John, ants like good BBQ too.  :)

Yes on an Si they need washing to be clean.
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

Gene

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
Hi John,  here's something you probably know already but it works great for me so I thought I would pass it on.  I "grease" my racks with vegetable oil before smoking.  I just put a bit of oil in my palm and rub it all over the racks.  Kind of messy but I don't have to wash a brush when I'm done  ;D

I bought one of those flat plastic storage containers and after the smoke I put the racks in them with some hot water and Dawn and let them soak for awhile.  They come clean easily with a little scrubbing.  The longer they soak the easier they clean.

Hope this helps.
Model 1
Central Illinois

Suzie-Q

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
My two cents: I lightly pre-oil my racks as it seems to help in clean up latter.  Post smoke, I dump them in soapy water to soak, then drain and use a plastic "scrubby" with baking soda to get clean and shiny for next time.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
I usually forget to oil the racks, but I, too, soak them in soapy water after cooking on them.  And I have found that using a "magic eraser" sponge to clean them works like a charm. They almost look like new.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »
There was a post here about a mouse that got in through the blow hole (and could not get back out). Thankfully it was still alive when they opened the door (or the smell would not have been good). I've often thought about plugging that hole when I put it away...
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Limey

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
I plug mine with a synthetic cork from a wine bottle-zero maintenance, the price is right and you have to drink the wine!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.