Author Topic: Turkey in the #2  (Read 7114 times)

EFGM

Re: Turkey in the #2
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
Dave, don't go larger than a 14 lb bird in the smoker.  Anything bigger stays in the "danger zone" of 40-140° too long!

Tony would that 14# limit be the same for the 3D and 4D. I know they have higher kw elements, but they are also larger in size.
Or would they just be able to handle more Birds but still with the same weight range?

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 01:41:10 AM »
Tony would that 14# limit be the same for the 3D and 4D. I know they have higher kw elements, but they are also larger in size.
Or would they just be able to handle more Birds but still with the same weight range?

The recommendation has traditionally been to stick with 14 lbs max, and just smoke multiple birds. But in the case of the D models that can smoke higher than 250, seems to me that you could go with a larger bird if you smoke at a higher temperature. Butterball recommends roasting (any size turkey) in the oven at 325, so I think as long as you are using 325 in your smoker, you should be able to smoke any size turkey.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
I've smoked 15 lbs turkeys twice in my #4 and in both cases didn't reach 140 within 4 hours smoking at 275 and still here to talk about it, didn't kill me.  I mention this to show that there is nothing magical about the smoker size.  It is all temperature driven. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »
I've smoked 15 lbs turkeys twice in my #4 and in both cases didn't reach 140 within 4 hours smoking at 275 and still here to talk about it, didn't kill me.  I mention this to show that there is nothing magical about the smoker size.  It is all temperature driven.

What I'm saying is that with the D models only, if you smoke at 325, you should be able to smoke any size turkey. That is the temp recommended by Butterball in a regular oven for any size turkey. So SuperDave is right, it has nothing to do with the size of the smoker. Higher temps for larger turkeys is key.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:03:19 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 08:06:50 PM »
I've smoked 15 lbs turkeys twice in my #4 and in both cases didn't reach 140 within 4 hours smoking at 275 and still here to talk about it, didn't kill me.   

I don't think 15 lbs is really "pushing the envelope" too hard, as far as size.  You are certainly right, though, about being temp-driven!  I agree with Kari, that if you smoke a larger bird at oven temp (325, in a D-model), you should be able to get away with it.  But, limiting to about 14 lbs, at lower temp (like 250, where I smoke mine) simply reduces the chance of ill-effects.  If you stay in the danger zone longer than 4 hours, it's certainly not a "sure deal" that you may grow some unwanted bacteria, but the odds go up dramatically, so why risk it?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!