Author Topic: In daylight, how to tell if red power light is on???  (Read 3380 times)

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
In daylight, how to tell if red power light is on???
« on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
How DOES one tell if light is on, thereby proving it's working and "on", especially during the day?  I've only used my #2 perhaps 8 times and realized today that it's virtually impossible to see the light being illuminated during the day.  (Haven't checked it during the evening as we're usually finished cooking while still light outside.)  I kicked a circuit breaker this morning and after DH reset it, I ck'd my #2 and couldn't see if it had been turned off and/or if it was still on.  Even cupping my hands around the light doesn't help in seeing it.  Smoker is out in the open with no shade - never worried about it before (the light) until the breaker kicked off.   I even tried turning power dial on and off and it's just not possible to see any light.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: In daylight, how to tell if red power light is on???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 08:04:27 PM »
I can usually tell by cupping my hands and looking inside.

Another way of telling if the smoker has power is to turn it down and then slowly back up again until you hear the little click that happens when the element is engaged. If you don't have power, you won't hear the little click.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
Thanks, ND, but shouldn't we have a visual light to easily see?  Having to turn it down and then slowly up will certainly add extra time to the smoking, which I don't prefer to do.   ???
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
Thanks, ND, but shouldn't we have a visual light to easily see?  Having to turn it down and then slowly up will certainly add extra time to the smoking, which I don't prefer to do.   ???

It won't reduce your time at all. You turn it down and then immediately turn it back up again. This only takes 5 seconds or so and you aren't opening the smoker. You just turn it down so the element kicks off, then you'll hear it click on again as you raise the temp to the point where the element clicks on again.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
It is hard to see depending on time of day and placement, but using the above mentioned will not hurt a thing.  You'll hear the click of the thermo going on and off knowing the smoker is working.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »
Having to turn it down and then slowly up will certainly add extra time to the smoking, which I don't prefer to do

Your worrying to much. Worry has an overall negative affect on BBQ. Trust the smoker, if your that worried about your power source, plug a radio in the same outlet as the smoker.
Then you can look out the window, see smoke and hear music and know everything is fine.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:47 PM »
Having to turn it down and then slowly up will certainly add extra time to the smoking, which I don't prefer to do

Your worrying to much. Worry has an overall negative affect on BBQ. Trust the smoker, if your that worried about your power source, plug a radio in the same outlet as the smoker.
Then you can look out the window, see smoke and hear music and know everything is fine.

Nailed it!!!!! ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »
Well, I have to respectfully disagree -  ;D  If there's a light there, then it SHOULD be visible - otherwise, why bother having it there?  What's the point of having the light, then?  I don't think my expectations are unreasonable. Is everyone just reluctant to admit it's barely (if at all) visible during the day?  I can't (nor would I) plug in a radio, it's a dedicated socket - and how silly to leave a radio on all day just because the light doesn't show.  And can't use your suggestion of seeing the smoke as one doesn't see the smoke after the first hour or so.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
San Diego

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »
Arline, small LED lights, like on your smoker, are VERY hard to make bright enough to view in bright sunlight.  If you shade your smoker, or cup your hand around it, you should be able to see it.  MORE IMPORTANTLY:  Is there hot air coming out of the top vent hole?  If so, your smoker is working.  If not, it may not be. 

Also, the times that you've used it (even the time you say you couldn't see if the light was on), did your food cook?  Now, it is possible that your light has failed...it's rare, but it happens.  It's not a big deal to change it out.  Contact Steve and let him know that you can't see your light.  He'll send you a new one.  This is a minor thing, but I respect that it is important to you.  Call Steve. :)

Before you call, however, I recommend plugging your smoker in during the evening, turn it on, and see if the light is functional or not.  Bright sunlight is tough.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!