Author Topic: 48 - 72 hour Chuck Roast  (Read 5303 times)

Mr.Ed

48 - 72 hour Chuck Roast
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »
I finally found a discount from Anova for a Sous Vide Wi-Fi

I did a high end rib eye for 1 hour at 129 f., Perfect I'll give that one a 9

I picked up two 2.7 lb. Angus chuck roast at Sam's for $3.99 lb. So lets see how a long cook on a piece of meat with more than one muscle type fares.

The seasoning was:
Salt, Pepper, fresh thyme and rosemary.
One tablespoon of Mr. Yoshida's marinade.
One teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon beef base.
One tablespoon of home made Chimichurri sauce.
Two pats of butter (not really needed, my daughters request)
Vacuum sealed and held in the refrigerator 24 hours.

I set the bath for 132 f. for 72 hours. One is being pulled out at 48 hours and one at 72 so I can compare the difference. I'll post the 72 hour results later.

48 hours later I pulled one chucky and off to the sear.

Well I'll give this an 8 for a $3.99 chuck, but only a 5 if we compare to a real prime rib.  Good yes, great no.

OK, the next one, shown in the bath below, will be pulled tomorrow and I will compare the two and post the results here.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:46:54 PM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

Durangosmoker

Re: 48 hour Chuck Roast
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 48 hour roast.  I've done a 72, which came out amazing, and planned to do a 48 next, but am waiting for the chuckies to go on sale again.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Mr.Ed

Re: 48 - 72 hour Chuck Roast
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
The day has come and gone, the 72 hour chuck was pulled. This time I decided not to sear the meat but leave it closer to the finish of a prime rib. My seasoning shown in the first post of this thread left the outer portion dark and firm.

Now two photos of the 72 hour chuck:

Note the texture of the 72 hour Chuck was closer to a prime rib than the 48 hour chuck.(post 1)

I rated the 72 hour much higher and closer to the flavor of a prime rib (For a chuck roast) I still can't compare it to the real thing but we are looking at a $3.99 cut of beef here, Not a $12.99 cut.

So it all boils down to what is the correct time on these roast. My answer is without a doubt you should go for 72 hours over the popular 48 hour time factor. Now I ran it at 132 f., I liked it so much I'm not changing the temperature.

Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »
Nice!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »
Very interesting, Ed! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »
I have done both 72 hours and 96 hours. I use 131 as my temp. I wouldn't go less than 72. I actually prefer 96 hours, but many people here think the meat is mushy at 96 hours. I think I must like a little less "chew" than others. To me, it's melt in your mouth. I also think it has a more beefy flavor. It's also really important that you get a really fast/hot sear. If you are using a Searzall, make sure you dry the surface of the meat as much as possible with paper towels, and lightly oil. I've heard the Searzall can "cook" the meat too much if it can't be done quickly (moisture will prevent a good sear). A grill set at maximum heat works great too for steaks/chuck.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
Thanks for doing the research, Mr. Ed. I'm looking forward to a 72 hr chuck tonight for dinner, and it is my first chance to use my new searzall. Hope I don't overcook it when searing.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.