Author Topic: What is the Best way to Reheat Boston Butts?  (Read 4034 times)

Papa Rick

What is the Best way to Reheat Boston Butts?
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
Cooked 4 today, going to use 2 tomorrow at Church and was wondering how does everyone reheat them?  I have cooked plenty for my personal use and I always just pull it and then put them in freezer bags and use them when I want them.

I have not tried to reheat a whole butt yet and was wanting suggestions on how to do this either pull it as I have done before or what?

Also trying to remember how to post pics on a post?
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: What is the Best way to Reheat Boston Butts?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Pull them apart for sandwiches and just nuke them in a oven safe container.  I wouldnt re-heat a whole one.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »
Agreed. Pull them while they are still hot. Then vacuum seal or ziplock what you don't eat. Preferably while it's still warm. You can also use Tupperware.

Then, I generally just microwave it (you may need to add some sauce). Some people use a slow cooker and some put their vacuum bags or ziplocks in a hot water bath with their Anova sous vide cookers. Either way, it will be good! 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:47:08 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »
Cooked 4 today, going to use 2 tomorrow at Church and was wondering how does everyone reheat them?  I have cooked plenty for my personal use and I always just pull it and then put them in freezer bags and use them when I want them.

I have not tried to reheat a whole butt yet and was wanting suggestions on how to do this either pull it as I have done before or what?

Also trying to remember how to post pics on a post?

I don't pull my butts so far since I've had them for dinner as entrees.  When I reheat, I cut in large chunks and put them under the broiler for 1 to 2 min. per side.  They come out sizzling just like off the grill.   
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

prudentsmoker

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 07:09:46 PM »
Sous vide (as as been pointed out here before) is excellent for reheating.
Brian from Wichita

Papa Rick

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
They all turned out good!  The # 2 is the stuff for sure!  It can make you seem like you could compete on the big circuit for the money and fame, but then again I wake up and realize I was dreaming!

Papa Rick

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
I went ahead and pulled them and put them in a Ziploc freezer bag while they were warm.  I had forgot I had done this once before and put them in water and reheated them at a Church picnic and they turned out great.

Gotta admit though I had to look up that word Sous vide.  Thought that was something I needed to know but found out it was just putting them in the water and heating them up.

Havent never tried to use them as entrees, but might do this next time.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! :)

prudentsmoker

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
You should check out the sous vide portion of this web site. The thing that got me was a 72 hour chuck roast at 131 degrees that tasted as good as prime rib! It has radically changed the way I cook.
Brian from Wichita

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
Hey Richard, you can pull them and reheat in a crock pot with just a touch of apple juice in the bottom. It will turn out great.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »
If your smoking extra butts to use within a few days leave them whole.
Wrap in several overlapping layers of cling film to seal the butt.
Add a layer of heavy duty foil over the cling film.
Place wrapped butt in freezer for 2 hours them move it to the fridge.

Day of service place the cold wrapped butt in a baking dish and place it in a 285 oven for about 2 hours until it is hot and squishy.

Unwrap the foil, place cling wrapped butt in serving dish.
Slice completely through all layers of cling wrap with a sharp knife, the butt will slide out.
Remove the bone and separate the meat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud