Author Topic: Wagyu Sirloin  (Read 8682 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Wagyu Sirloin
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »
It's impossible to use too much butter.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 11:47:10 PM »
Gents,

This was the best danged sirloin I have ever eaten and I have never cooked a steak this good before. I'm sold on this sous vide cooker! (Good thing since I already bought it!)

I went with 129 for 2 hours but got busy taking the Canadian Boating Exam online and didn't want to risk stopping the test so they stayed in the bath for about 2:45ish. I had used some Montreal Steak Seasoning and another rub that was recently given to me. Mixed them about 50/50. Plus, copious amounts of butter!  Not sure if I'll do anything different on this one in the future!  However, I think I'm ready for the $30/lb Kobe Ribeyes now!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
That looks pretty darn good.

I have only done two chuck roasts with my Anova so far, but they were both by far the best chuckies that I have ever eaten let alone cooked.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 10:47:34 PM »
That's what you get with sous vide, that edge-to-edge even color. You can't get that will grilling alone. It's like you are really getting your money's worth, with every bite the perfect doneness.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »
Even better... Last night, we warmed up left overs in the microwave and the sirloin was still incredibly tender.  I will be cooking all steaks this way in the future!!!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »
Even better... Last night, we warmed up left overs in the microwave and the sirloin was still incredibly tender.  I will be cooking all steaks this way in the future!!!

Try warming them up in the sous vide. It's the best way to warm up any leftovers. 129 for an hour or so for your leftover steak. As good as new. You can't overcook them warming them up in the sous vide like you can in the microwave.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
Steaks look fantastic, Libo!  I, too, have pretty much fully-converted to the SV/reverse-sear for steaks.  Absolutely perfect, every time, with no guess work (variances in meat)!  The good thing, too, is the leeway you pointed-out.  If you shoot for 2 hours, and happen to go 3, no harm/no foul!  I, personally, would never go 6-8 hours like some do, but 2-3 is the perfect texture for me. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 03:40:18 AM »
Steaks look fantastic, Libo!  I, too, have pretty much fully-converted to the SV/reverse-sear for steaks.  Absolutely perfect, every time, with no guess work (variances in meat)!  The good thing, too, is the leeway you pointed-out.  If you shoot for 2 hours, and happen to go 3, no harm/no foul!  I, personally, would never go 6-8 hours like some do, but 2-3 is the perfect texture for me.

2 hours at 129 for me if it's a good rib-eye or tender cut. I think if you have a tougher steak, and want to go longer, anything over 4 hours you are going to need to bump it up to 131 for food safety reasons.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 10:08:17 PM »
...anything over 4 hours you are going to need to bump it up to 131 for food safety reasons.

That's why I don't SV tough cuts, or go over 3 hours. ;) ;D   Love the med-rare that 129 produces!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
Funny cause tough cut is what make SV shine.... I just tried a 4 hrs sirloin steak ( cut from a big arse costco sirloin roast, choice was the quality), sorry but it didn't cut the mustard....way too chewy... First, I don't consider a sirloin as a good cut, usually, when on special I buy it for ground meat.... same piece as the one I did for 8hrs, night and days.... will try maybe 6hrs next time, but so far for choice, 8hrs is the standard...!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
Bob, are you saying that you've cooked sirloin for 8 hours in sous vide?  If so, I'm interested to hear how that turned out.
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 09:30:27 AM »
The one I cooked last night was 4hrs and was still rough. The one I cooked before was for 8hrs and was a lot tender.
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
Mine was perfect but then again it was wagyu.  I've been considering getting a regular sirloin.  If so, I'll run it longer.  Was yours a beautiful pink inside after 8 hours?
The Woodlands, Texas