Author Topic: Smoked a brisket yesterday  (Read 2468 times)

ReverentSmoker

Smoked a brisket yesterday
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:08:29 AM »
I smoked a 6 lb. brisket yesterday. It came out great. The Si model 1 is the perfect size for me. The brisket had a better taste than any of the Q restaurants in town. Not even close.

What I can't believe is how easy it is to use. It really is fail proof. Two things needed to make great Q: 1) Buy a SI smoker! 2) Read the different threads on this forum. You'll gain a lot of info from all the experienced SI users. I appreciate their willingness to share their knowledge - wealth of info here.

I have noticed a few people have bought from Sam's Club for their meats. Do you find their meat to be of good quality for smoking? I bought the brisket from Walmart and found the meat wasn't the quality I have bought from other places. Never have found Walmart's meat to be very good. It always seems to be tougher than other meats no matter what I do with it. Also, has anyone used mustard w/honey for their binding? I've thought about experimenting with it. Thanks for any input.   
Don from Alexandria, LA
Smokin-It Model 1

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoked a brisket yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
Great to hear, Don!  That's why I never eat at local BBQ restaurants anymore! ;)

My Sam's, in Fayetteville AR, has very good-quality meat.  Brisket is mostly Choice, but occasionally Prime.  Other beef is available in Choice or Prime.  Wally World, on the other hand, sucks.  Their brisket is never better than Select, which is way too lean (and a lot bigger tolerance to meet that grade).  I made the mistake of trying it one time...never again!

I would think if you were going to add honey to your binder, you wouldn't need the mustard.  Mustard is used because it doesn't add any flavor, and holds the rub on.  Honey will probably add some flavor, and should make the rub stick great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ReverentSmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »
Thanks Tony. Since getting this smoker I haven't been to one. Will not be going back either.

As far as Wally World I haven't been at one in years. I was needing something and one was close. I stopped because I was in a hurry. While there I grabbed a brisket. It said choice, but no way. It was a poor grade Select. The smoker actually made it better. Today I made a sandwich from the brisket and it was tender.

I didn't think about the honey becoming a binder. I might try this the next time on a rib. I don't add any BBQ sauce because I like the flavor the SI produces. You don't have to respond to this thread. I got my answers. In fact you can close this if you want. 
Don from Alexandria, LA
Smokin-It Model 1

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
Good deal, Don.  Will do.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!