Author Topic: What shelf do you use?  (Read 2762 times)

Kellysr

What shelf do you use?
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
I have a 2D smoker with Auber... I'm getting mixed results from cooking the same thing twice. The problem Im having is I get a very tough or crusty top. I've made two batches of baby back ribs and to batches of smoked chicken. I've cooked the ribs at 220 degrees for 4 hours with very little hickory. Both times had a dry rub. The first attempt was perfect, the second batch the top crust of the ribs were hard and dry?

On the chicken I just use salt and pepper, I butterfly the chicken and lay it flat. I use apple wood and cooked at 220 for 3 hours. The first attempt the skin on the chicken was like leather. The meat was good. The second time I did it I cut down on the wood a little but same temp and technique. The second batch was perfect.

My only guess is I had the last batch of ribs that were too crusty up higher in the smoker, I don't remember where I had the previous meats I cooked?

Does anyone notice a difference in if your racks are higher or lower in the oven?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: What shelf do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
Hi Kelly,

You will have the best results with meat as high as possible, as the heat is more stable up top.  Are you using a water pan, with your ribs?  If not, use a disposable loaf pan, with water or apple juice, on the floor of the smoker, tucked-up against the smoke box (not above). 

As for your chicken skin...well, what you got is what you'll get!  The smoker does not crisp chicken skin, but the meat is great!  I think of chicken skin as a moisture-retaining device, which is discarded before eating (and then eaten by my English Mastiff...chicken skin garbage disposal unit!).  You will get consistency, with practice.  Find what works for you, and what doesn't!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Kellysr

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »
Thanks... I have used water both times but this last time I did hang the water can off the shelf below the meat instead of on the bottom. I'll try that.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
That's probably part of the problem, Kelly.  The pan doesn't get hot enough, above the smoke box, and acts as a heat sink, blocking the heat from the meat. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!