Author Topic: Something wrong?  (Read 4498 times)

TorontoPete

Something wrong?
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:39:17 PM »
[/img]I did a 12 jerk pulled pork shoulder the other day and it wasn't too smokey.  I have been noticing my smokinlicious blocks aren't burning well.  Is there something wrong?  Is it because I use a chip screen?  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:41:12 PM by TorontoPete »
Peter from Toronto

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
Yes, Pete.  Remove the chip screen for chunks, especially in the #1.  The 400 watt element will not cause your wood to catch fire, and the chip screen really shields the wood from the heat.  In my #1, I never experienced wood catching fire, no matter what wood I used.  It became more critical to use good wood with the larger, more powerful, elements in the 2 and 3.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
I would also try to place your wood further back in the box as it tends to run hotter toward the back of the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TorontoPete

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
Thanks guys....  I guess I could put some foil under the chips and leave the screen out.  As for putting the wood in the back, I live in a condo and don't have a yard to cut the wood down and sometimes the smokinlicious wood pushes the lid up a bit, and won't fit on the other side as the lid needs to slide under the flange.
Peter from Toronto

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »
Pete, get you a hatchet and a hammer, if you don't have one.  You can easily split the bigger chunks by placing the hatchet on the end (chunk on a hard surface), and give a tap with the hammer.  Some of the chunks are too big, but splitting them is easy.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 04:14:21 PM »
You can also use an old chisel and an hammer too. That's what I use. Most of my double filets from smokinlicious are just slightly too big for my smoke box too.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »
I guess I could put some foil under the chips and leave the screen out

The chip screen is for chips, it works as is do not add foil or any other attempted voodoo. Toss in the chips and turn it on.

Your issue with the screen and wood blocks is that the screen is sucking up your heat and spreading it out. Remove the screen when using blocks and the blocks will smoke better. If you had a bigger element it wouldn't be an issue but your smoking in a Model 1.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TorontoPete

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
Thanks guys.  I used to use chips and block.  My thought was chips for early smoke, and block for sustained longer time.  Guess I'll have to get a bit more streamlined and get at least a chisel.
Peter from Toronto

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I used to use chips and block.  My thought was chips for early smoke, and block for sustained longer time.  Guess I'll have to get a bit more streamlined and get at least a chisel.

For a long smoke like butt or brisket, use all chunks. I usually vary the size of my chunks in the smoke box, so if I need 6 ounces, I might have a 1 ounce piece, and a couple 2 or 3 ounce pieces. I always try to divide my wood into two or three chunks rather than one big chunk. If you are doing chicken where maybe you only need 2 or 3 ounces, I would still spit my wood into two or three chunks. I have a #1 also. I just space the chunks front to back. The only time I use chips is for really short smokes like fish, or cold smokes like bacon or lox. I use the chip screen only for chips. Instead of chips, you can also split your chunks into very thin splits/shards and use those. I prefer doing that over buying chips, because chips dry out so quickly. No foil for anything. Since you've got smokinlicious wood, there's no need for foil boats etc.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TorontoPete

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
Great info Kari.  Thanks
Peter from Toronto