Author Topic: Question  (Read 2005 times)

PWSOT

Question
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
Going to try some stuffed chicken thighs this afternoon,was wondering since I'm only planning on smokin for a couple of hours can I use chips instead of chunks and do I still only use a couple of ozs of chips.Thanks.

slojoe

• Retired and lovin it
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:15:39 AM »
I've used chips several times, will work just fine, surprised you did't get a response before now, hope you got it figured out.
Joe, Smokin on #2, Navy Vet., Life NRA

drains

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »
Do you have the chip screen for the smoke box? If not you can line the bottom with foil and it will work fine. Good luck!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
Depending on the temp, chicken thighs can go a bit longer than 2 hours, especially if "stuffed". How are you stuffing? Between the skin and the meat? Are they bone-in or boneless?

Chips are fine for short smokes. But instead of buying chips which dry out quickly, I use my good quality chunks that I buy from smokinlicious, then take a hammer and chisel (or wedge or hatchet) and make thin slivers.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:13:18 PM »
Use foil on the bottom if you try chips.  It will work aok.  I sometime mix chips and small 1 oz chunks depending on whats laying around.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA