Author Topic: 1st Smoke - Appetizers  (Read 3500 times)

KristeyW

1st Smoke - Appetizers
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
Didn't have time for a long smoke so I tried jalapeño poppers and stuffed mushrooms. I used 1.5 oz of cherry chips and cooked for 1.5 hours at 235. Will probably up the temperature to 250 and increase time to 2 hours. Overall cannot complain about the results.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st Smoke - Appetizers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:18:53 AM »
Sounds like a good start.  Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Mr.Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »
Welcome Kristey,

I too am new to the Si family but an old timer in the art of smoking. The jalapeño has a hard skin covering the soft meat of the jalapeño.  Before smoking I would get a pot of boiling water and place the jalapeños in the water for two minutes with the end removed and the seeds scraped out.  I would then smoke them unstuffed for 1 hour at 250 open the smoker, remove the jalapeño poppers and stuff them, return the stuffed poppers to the smoker for another 30 minutes.

This should make a good jalapeño popper. Your smoke will get onto the jalapeño and the quick parboil will take care of the outer skin firmness. The cheese will melt fast and pick up the smoke from the jalapeño.

This appetizer doesn't need a heavy smoke flavor to be delicious. you may still need to adjust the final time, but start with the above and see what you think.   
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:30:05 AM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
Didn't have time for a long smoke so I tried jalapeño poppers and stuffed mushrooms. I used 1.5 oz of cherry chips and cooked for 1.5 hours at 235. Will probably up the temperature to 250 and increase time to 2 hours. Overall cannot complain about the results.

Kristey,

Yep go with 250 degrees, 2 oz. of wood (I like oak and pecan) and two hours and you will be spot on!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
Welcome to the club, Kristey!

Mr. Ed - that sounds like a fantastic technique!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
Mr. Ed - that sounds like a fantastic technique!
Parboil does sound interesting but it doesn't sound like Mr. Ed's poppers have a bacon wrap.  30 minutes post stuff wouldn't crisp the bacon. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah