Author Topic: Size/weight of Pork Butt Shoulder  (Read 15476 times)

jadams

Size/weight of Pork Butt Shoulder
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »
I've had my little smoker about 90 days now and absolutely love it! Almost set & forget it, along my Thermoworks single probe digital thermometer.
What weight pork butt smokes the best or does it matter. Will 4-5# turn out drier than say a 8-9# butt? Would 2/4-5# butts smoke like 1/8-9# butt? Thanks for any input you may have!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Size/weight of Pork Butt Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
I always smoke larger butts in the 8-9# range.  I allow 1.5 hours per pound for smoking time, and usually pull them at 195F for pulled pork.   I also make sure to include an extra 2 hours in the timing for a rest period.   Most of my butts, though, do not take the full 1.5 hours, but I like to allow more time rather than less to make sure the butts are done in time for dinner.    Some folks have commented that the smaller butts will take more time, so for a 4-5# butt, you might want to allow 2 hours per pound for smoking.    If you are smoking 2 4-5# butts at the same time, they will take the same amount of time as smoking 1 4-5# butt, but they could hit your desired internal temp at different points in the time.   Two temp probes (one for each butt) would be the ideal way to handle this.  If you only have one temp probe, then I would start checking the second butt when the probed one reaches 185-190F.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
I would strongly steer clear of the smaller 4-5 pound butts. They do not behave as normal and your results will be hard to predict and may not be as good.

You didn't mention your prep, but I would encourage you to brine your butt if you haven't tried it yet. This is not necessary to get a moist juicy pork butt, but it adds even more moisture and flavor from the brining process. I brine 95% of mine and the only time that I wouldn't would be if I was doing and impromptu smoke and didn't have the time. Here is a thread that can be used as a starting point:
Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork

Look for an 8-9 pound Boston Butt (not a picnic shoulder unless you are looking to slice instead of pull). The minimum size that I would want would be 7lbs.

I prefer to smoke mine at 225 versus the 235 that several people use here and my butts take about 2/hours per pound. The main reason is that I don't want to get up early in the morning to put my butt on the smoker. A pork butt can definitely take the heat of 235, but I use 225 just because it works with my schedule the best.

I put my butts in the smoker around 11:00PM-12:00AM set to 225 and go to sleep knowing that my butt will be ready in the early to mid afternoon. I pull at 190-195, double-wrap in foil, and then rest in a cooler with a couple of towels on top for up to 4 hours before pulling and serving.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:56:08 PM »
7# at least.  Last one I did was 11# and it smoked shorter time than 8's and 9's.

Just give it time.

Start night before, shoot to have it off the smoker noon to 1:00PM.

It can sit wrapped in a cooler for a very long time to get happy.

I've been pulling mine at 190 internal and they turn out great.

Don't forget to brine it (container large enough can be tricky) so than will set you back another 12 hours prior to smoke time.

If you have access to a butcher shop get a boston butt there vs wally world.  The ones at the butcher shop are fresh and not water injected.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »
Once again, I'm late to the party, and the guys have already given the best advice! :-[   I'll throw my 2ยข in, anyways, since I'm here. ;)

Steer clear of the little butts!  If they are under 7 lbs, they probably aren't bone-in Boston butts anyways.  That is the ONLY pork shoulder cut I will use for pulled pork, and it's universally agreed to be the best cut for pulled pork.  Stick with 7-10 lbs; you'll get the absolute best results, and will love it!

As Gregg mentioned, brining pork butts adds a whole new dimension to them!  I will never smoke one, again, without it (it makes THAT much of a difference). 

Temp?  I have played with this a LOT!  What I've found, is around 190-192 internal temp is ideal.  Once the butt starts climbing in temp again, as it exits "the stall" (which can last for several hours, usually in the 170s or 180s), the "magic" tenderizing is done!  As you get up around that 190 range, the meat will be firm, but very tender and moist!  I find taking butts above 195-200 makes the meat more mushy, which isn't good, imo.  I like my pulled pork to have a little meat texture, but be tender.  At 190, the bone will slide out clean, which is really what you're looking for.

Rub:  Use something that has some sugar in it, for the best bark!  It creates the Maillard Reaction, in which the sugars caramelize and meld with the meat. Hard to get, without sugar.  For off the shelf rubs, I love Famous Dave's Rib Rub and Bad Byron's Butt Rub.  Both are great on butts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jadams

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
This is very helpful information guys! I'll stick with the 7-10 lb. range. I haven't experimented with brining yet, but now I will. I've been pulling mine at a temperature of 195, then 193. I'll see if 190 makes a difference because mine are still coming out a little drier than I prefer. I've used a dry rub by Weber, then also one called Grill Mates Pork Rub. I'll try Bad Byron's & Famous Dave's. I love to experiment!

Also, I've been dropping the smoked butt "naked" (unwrapped) in the cooler with no towels. Just put the lid on it for a couple hours.

Ribs were my 1st  experiment, but was not successful. Way too dry. Maybe too high a temperature and maybe not long enough?

Any feedback appreciated.

Mr.Ed

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
I buy Sam's Wholesale BONE IN Boston Butt.
see photo below. Running about $1.98 Lb. This one is about 20 pounds, remember you get both cuts from the shoulder in these packs so you are looking at 9 to 10 lbs. each.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:31:01 PM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
see photo below. Running about $1.98 Lb. This one is about 20 pounds, remember you get both cuts from the shoulder in these packs so you are looking at 9 to 10 lbs. each.

Are you saying that you get a shoulder (picnic) and a Boston Butt in your Sam's Club 2-packs?

My Sam's only has the Boston Butt two-packs (which I would rather have since I rarely smoke picnics).

Just clarifying.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »

It's a 2-pack of Boston butts.  Bought a ton of them, at Sam's, and never had a mix of Bostons and picnic.  I bet you meant the Bostons from the right and left sides, when you said "both cuts," right?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!