Author Topic: Auto tune question  (Read 6451 times)

Master-Hack

• City Worker-Part of the problem, not the solution
Auto tune question
« on: June 28, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »
Broke down and bought the Auber 1200 for my SI 2.  Install with the wall mounted sensor was a snap.  Auto tuning as I write.  Outside temp here is in the mid 90's and most days from now through summer will be there and higher.

As winter comes, it will obviously be cooler.  Would it be wise to retune when the temps start to cool down or will the settings I get today be good then? 

As usual, the extensive experience that exists on this great forum will be appreciated.  Thanks
Lee from Boise
Weber Genesis - Sold in garage sale
Weber Smokey Mountain - loaned out & never returned
2 Weber Simpsons 10th Anniversary - still boxed
Louisiana Grills Little Louie - go to grill
Weber 22.5 Charcoal - wife's go to grill
Masterbuilt 30 - converted to dehydrator
SI 2 - getting started

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auto tune question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
Hi Lee!  You should autotune, with a big weather change, only if your temps are not holding steady.  I never change my tunings between summer and winter, and have never had a problem.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Master-Hack

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »
Good to know.  With the settings right out of the book, I'm into it at 1.8 for the time and nearly back to 140 on the end of the first phase.  High ambient temps are slowing down the process.  I worked as a designer & PM for Siemens for 17 years and occasionally had to deal with loop tuning.  Been a while but I remember the techs would always have problems come spring & fall when the outside temp swings would be radical at times.  Thanks for the input.  On a side note, read a lot here on the smokinlicious products.  Got some chery & sugar maple.  Outstanding flavor with brined pork chops with the maple.  Always good input here from the voices of experience.
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
I find it kind of hard to believe that the ambient temps are affecting the tuning.

These smokers are so well insulated that I have smoked in -20F weather and not experienced any issue with getting to or maintaining heat in my #3. If anything it might have taken an extra 10 minutes to get to the target temp, but after that it never had trouble maintaining the heat and the swings weren't any different than a summer smoke in 90F weather.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:40:12 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Master-Hack

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
Greg, When I started the auto tune, the box temp was 99 and the initial ramp up was fast but over-shot the 140 setpoint by almost 30 degrees.  With an ambient temp of 95 outside it took a almost 3 hours to get back to 140.  (yes, very well insulated) Then it slowly dropped to 133 and pulsed back to 140.  Held there and then climbed to the 2nd stage set of 225.  By then, it was late & I went to bed.  When I got up this morning, both displays indicated END so all appears to have finished well.  It just took much longer than I anticipated.  My daughter is coming in from Denver for the weekend.  She has a degree in culinary and is a bit hard to impress but I hope to wow her with a brisket or boston butt.  That will be the true test of my auto tune.  Thanks for the input.
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
I think that might be normal for an auto tune. But, will let the Auber experts chime in on this.

I am pretty sure she'll be impressed with either a butt or a brisket from your new smoker.

Good luck!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Master-Hack

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:26 PM »
Thanks Greg.  I'm sure the tune was good.  If not, I'll do it again.  I just smoked up 3 salmon fillets the other night - pre-Auber.   Turned out great.  If my daughter doesn't think whatever I smoke is great, I know she will like the salmon.  Every time she visits, I check the freezer right before she leaves.  I usually find my smoked salmon stock is substantially depleted.
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
I bet you're OK, Lee, but yes, starting the tune with a 99° box could certainly be a factor.  If I were starting that hot, I would probably skip the 140 step, and just run a tuning program of 225 for 2 hours, and let it work on that.  Let me know if it isn't right.  Btw, what P, I an D numbers did you get?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Master-Hack

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:53:32 AM »
Tony, I haven't checked the numbers yet.  Wife travels a lot and just got home last night so it was burgers on the weber charcoal and adult beverages on the patio.  Might do some quick pork chops tonight.  I'll check then and post them.
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

Master-Hack

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
Tony, I ended up with the following tune settings:

P-68
I-600
D-301

I trying out some chicken thighs tonight as a bit of a test run.  Hard to screw them up.  I'll let you know how the box temp tracks.
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
Tony, I ended up with the following tune settings:

P-68
I-600
D-301

I trying out some chicken thighs tonight as a bit of a test run.  Hard to screw them up.  I'll let you know how the box temp tracks.

In my #2, I use:

P  62
I  902
D  112

I got this from an autotune with a 1500CPH and a 1200GPH.  I use it now, in my 2D upgrade.  At least for me, those numbers are dead on.  If your settings aren't what you expected, try these and let me know how they work.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Master-Hack

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:24 AM »
The settings worked reasonably well.  My auto tune was with a fair sized pan full of sand and a mini loaf pan of water.  My cook was on 4 chicken thighs.  Considering the difference in mass between the sand and the thighs, I wasn't expecting exact results.  With a setpoint of 245, it ramped up steady until about 208.  From then on it pulsed a second on & a second off for the balance of the cook.  I thought that might have been a bit early.  Over shot the setpoint by 7 degrees then came back down and stayed at setpoint for the balance.  I might give your settings a try to see if I come closer to setpoint before pulsing.  End result was an outstanding dinner.  I used a bit too much wood - 2.2 oz of cherry.  I'll cut this in half next time for a small amount of meat.  The main thing was the Auber held right on setpoint once the over shoot resolved.  I was very impressed with that.  With some fine tuning adjustments, I'll get it to ramp up and settle a bit quicker.  Thanks for all the help. 
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »
Lee, try the settings on something with some more substance...4 little chicken thighs is essentially an empty smoker, so the Auber has to work a little harder to regulate.  I think you'll find it works better with some more mass.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Master-Hack

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
Tried 3 racks of ribs yesterday.  They turned out very well but the Auber was searching all over the place.  Couldn't seem to settle in for long.  I'll be changing to your setting today while I do a corned beef pastrami smoke.  If it doesn't dial in, I'll do a new auto-tune with the cooler weather we are having today.  Thanks
Lee from Boise
SI 2 - getting started

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »
Sounds like a plan, Lee.  Let me know if I can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas