Author Topic: 72 hour chuck roast....attempt #1....  (Read 4590 times)

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
72 hour chuck roast....attempt #1....
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »
.....was a SMASHING success.  Oh. My. Gosh.  It is SOOOO good.  I hit it with fresh ground black pepper, pink Himalayan salt, garlic powder and onion salt on both sides, put it in a vacuum bag with a bit of butter and into the sous vide bath at 135 degrees.  Took it out 72 hours later and then seared it on the gas grill for about two minutes each side.  The fat dripped and caught on fire, which I didn't expect, but it didn't hurt the meat.  BEST FAKE PRIME RIB........EVER!!! 

Thank you to this forum for alerting me to what sous vide actually is and those that posted their experience.

The photos are the roast right out of the sous vide bath, seared and then sliced.  I KNOW it's not as rare as most people like it, but my wife LOVED it and I can tolerate it being this done because it was so moist and tender. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 72 hour chuck roast....attempt #1....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »
One of my favorite things to cook for guests. Everyone thinks they are eating prime rib (especially if I serve it with an au jus). The reaction when you tell them it is chuck roast, one of the cheapest cuts of meat you can buy... you get that deer in the headlights look. I'm getting the sense you guys like your beef a little more cooked with not much pink, so this is a great cut. It has enough fat and gelatin to still remain moist and succulent.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:54:40 AM »
One of my favorite things to cook for guests. Everyone thinks they are eating prime rib (especially if I serve it with an au jus). The reaction when you tell them it is chuck roast, one of the cheapest cuts of meat you can buy... you get that deer in the headlights look. I'm getting the sense you guys like your beef a little more cooked with not much pink, so this is a great cut. It has enough fat and gelatin to still remain moist and succulent.
It was SOOOO good.  So good, I put the other from the two pack in to cook for 72 hours to be ready Wednesday night. ;)

Dumb question:  How can you slice or present this to a guest where they won't know it's chuck roast and think it's prime rib?

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:31 AM »
It was SOOOO good.  So good, I put the other from the two pack in to cook for 72 hours to be ready Wednesday night. ;)

Dumb question:  How can you slice or present this to a guest where they won't know it's chuck roast and think it's prime rib?

You just come up with some sort of story about how this is the "new" "modern" way to serve prime rib...sliced. After all, a lot of shi-shi restaurants are serving fine steaks sliced these days. Everyone will believe you. Although I always tell the truth once people are done oooing and ahhhing over how it's the best prime rib they've ever had. And the au jus on the side helps sell it.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »
You just come up with some sort of story about how this is the "new" "modern" way to serve prime rib...sliced. After all, a lot of shi-shi restaurants are serving fine steaks sliced these days. Everyone will believe you. Although I always tell the truth once people are done oooing and ahhhing over how it's the best prime rib they've ever had. And the au jus on the side helps sell it.
That would be my plan, as well.  I'm confused about the "slicing" being the new way of serving prime rib as all the prime rib I've ever had has been sliced.  I'm probably not thinking this through properly. ;)

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
Prime rib is sliced into "slabs" (which look like a rib-eye steak). The sliced chuck roast is not going to look like slabs of prime rib, so you would have to say you sliced it differently than prime rib is normally sliced.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »
Welcome to the SV club, Scott! ;) 8) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
Welcome to the SV club, Scott! ;) 8) 8)
Thanks!! :)