Author Topic: Anova has Arrived!  (Read 7040 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Anova has Arrived!
« on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:07 PM »
My Fathers Day gift is here!  Now what to cook first?

I have 4 adults and a 6 year old to cook for on Sunday. I'm thinking fish or chicken or anything that doesn't take too long.

Any suggestions or recipes?

PS- how do I get these darned social media buttons off my posts?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:34:02 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

Re: Anova has Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
rib eye, 6 hrs at 130f, sear on a piping hot grill or torch em... salt pepper garlic powder a dab olive oil, vacuum seal each separately, you're welcome!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
Ok... Has anyone done fish with their Anova?  My wife picked up a large filet of cod today. I guess the question of what has been predetermined.  Now to figure out the how part?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Oh dang!  That sounds good, Icebob!  That may be my second cook with this thing!
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »
Ok... Has anyone done fish with their Anova?  My wife picked up a large filet of cod today. I guess the question of what has been predetermined.  Now to figure out the how part?

my son used this one a couple weeks ago, (just for the cod cooking temp and time ) fish was damned good!
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/oh-so-simple-sous-vide-cod-with-jet-black-puree-and-seared-endive
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »
Looks good but I'm fresh out of octopus ink!  :D

The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Libo, I know Bob does steaks for 6 hours, but I've found 2 - 2.5 hours will give you the texture of a good grilled steak, if you do a hot sear on the grill at the end.  I don't see the need for 6 hours, personally!  Check out this link, to help you with your fish times/temps:

Sous Vide Basics
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 11:53:53 PM »
Thanks divot!  That will be next weekend. I've got a big expensive filet of black cod right now. Nothing like pressure on my first cook! 

This is basically what I'm now planning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuu6cWDVKmw

122F for 20 min. I just happen to have all the ingredients. Plus I'll add some sake that they mentioned from a previous cook. Sounds good to me. However, I'll use my food saver. Not sure about Saran Wrap. Is that stuff safe to use with sous vide?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 04:31:32 AM »
Just an FYI, Black Cod is not Cod at all. They are not the same species. Black Cod is more correctly called Sablefish. Supposedly "Black Cod" is a nickname fisherman gave it because the fish kind of looks like Cod. Cod is relatively lean, mild flavored, with large white flakes, where Black Cod (Sablefish) has a creamy colored flesh, and a rich buttery flavor and texture. It is a high fat fish, with ultra-high Omega-3 oil content. Black Cod in my book is #1 of ALL fish. It is the standard by which all other fish shall be judged. (Just my opinion ;D) It has gotten very expensive in recent years. And is considered sustainable. Luckily I bought 10 pounds of filets from FishEx when it was on sale for about $19/pound (a rare price). I still have 5 pounds left. It is one of the top fish for smoking because of it's fat content on non-fishy flavor, but I have not smoked any yet. It's so expensive that I only eat it on special occasions. I usually stick to smoking salmon.

Looks like they used just plain ol Cod in the miso-poached video, but even just plain Cod would be elevated with a miso marinade. I actually use a recipe made famous by Nobu Matsuhisa. You can find his recipe all over the internet by searching "Nobu Miso Marinated Black Cod". Here is a similar recipe, with my own twist, which I think is even a little bit better than Nobu's...if I may say so myself.

Miso Marinated Black Cod
1/4 cup sake
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup white miso paste
1 Tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 Tablespoon sesame oil

In a sauce pan, place sake and mirin and bring to a boil for about 20 seconds to burn off alcohol. Lower heat and add miso paste. Stir with wooden spoon and cook on low heat until dissolved. Turn heat up to high and add sugars, ginger and sesame oil and stir constantly until sugar dissolves. Add some water if it becomes too thick. It should be a little softer than peanut butter. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. After marinade is cool, pat fish dry and coat with marinade, covering all surfaces. (You will not use all of the marinade, just enough to coat well. You can store the remaining marinade in the refrigerator almost forever.) Marinate in a zip-lock bag or non-reactive baking dish for 2-3 days in refrigerator. (Yikes, yes, 2-3 days).

Before cooking, remove excess marinade, but do not rinse. Place fish on lined baking sheet skin side down in a broiler for 5 minutes. Flip fish to skin side and cook for another 5 minutes. OR, cook in a regular oven at 375°– 400° for 7 minutes each side, or until desired doneness and caramelization. Can also pan-fry. Grilling is difficult because of the sugars in the marinade burning, potential sticking, and the fish falling apart easily. For sous vide, follow basic fish time and temp guidelines. Hitting it with a torch or searzall to caramelize the surface sugars leftover from the marinade would be ideal.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:39:28 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:42:59 PM »
Looks like a great recipe, I will try that next time.  I did however, tweak mine and added mirin and sake. It turned out excellent!  For a first time out of the gate, everyone was impressed. Can't wait to try ribeyes next week!

Here's some pics.
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »
Yum. Those are nice looking filets of black cod. Where are you buying them and what are you paying?
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:57:36 PM »
Yum. Those are nice looking filets of black cod. Where are you buying them and what are you paying?

Thanks!  My wife picked up one filet at Whole Foods yesterday. However, when I saw it I realized it wasn't big enough for 4 adults and a child so I went out and got another. I tried HEB first but they didn't even carry it so I went back to Whole Foods.

Luckily, I took a pic of the label.  Probably not the cheapest being that I got it there. However, I was out of options.
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 11:08:17 PM »
$23 per pound is not a bad price. I used to order from FishEx (Alaska), but they've gotten expensive (about $30/pound on sale!), plus there's a $25 flat rate overnight/dry ice shipping. Great Alaska seafood source, but pricey.
http://www.fishex.com/black-cod/alaskan-black-cod-fillet

I will have to check my local Whole Foods. We also have a dedicated seafood market here in Madison, but they don't stock it, and they have to order it. It arrives thawed (from previously frozen). Not my favorite. If it has been frozen, I prefer to receive it frozen, unless I am going to use all of it immediately.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 11:14:19 PM »
Just curious, do I need to take the Anova apart or just let it air dry on a towel?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
I usually take it apart, removing the clear plastic cap on the bottom and giving that a shake, then untwist the stainless sleeve. Then let the parts air dry on a towel. If you do take it apart, dry it in a safe place where the little propellor on the bottom doesn't get bent or damaged. You can also leave it all together, but it seems like there are little pockets where water collect in the clear plastic end cap. Doubt if that would be a problem though, since there is no direct contact with food, and it's just...water.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:23:47 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide