Author Topic: Anova on the way....  (Read 5871 times)

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
Anova on the way....
« on: June 11, 2016, 05:02:36 PM »
Yes, we pulled the trigger. Ordered an Anova Bluetooth and Wifi cooker a couple hours ago. Will be delivered today by 9pm. Next stop will be a stop at Sam's Club to pick up a chuck roast and set it for 72-96 hours. FYI, it's on sale at Amazon for $169.

Questions:

1: My wife canNOT stand medium rare meat. Me either, to be honest.  Way too bloody. So, what temp will I have to set it at to get it cooked medium to medium well?  Maybe there is a guide that comes with it.

2:  Not this time, but in the future I will want to introduce the 4D into the equation and add some smoke. How would I go about that while not "cooking" it, but also not risking food born disease? ;)

Thanks in advance. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Anova on the way....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »
I forwarded my wife a link to the same deal last night.  I'll be getting mine next weekend!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
I forwarded my wife a link to the same deal last night.  I'll be getting mine next weekend!
Congratulations!! Let's compare notes. ;)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »
You bet! 

I'm debating getting a Searzall.  I may just use my searing station on my grill until I decide if I love doing sous vide or not..
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
You bet! 

I'm debating getting a Searzall.  I may just use my searing station on my grill until I decide if I love doing sous vide or not..

The Searzall is great, but if you have a searing station on your grill (that gets in the 800° range), it's better for flat cuts of meat or chicken parts, imo.  The Searzall does great in a lot of other areas (melting cheese, quickly cooking fried eggs, browning just about anything), and for irregular-shaped things, but the taste imparted by a grill's sear burner is so much better.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
Yes, we pulled the trigger. Ordered an Anova Bluetooth and Wifi cooker a couple hours ago. Will be delivered today by 9pm. Next stop will be a stop at Sam's Club to pick up a chuck roast and set it for 72-96 hours. FYI, it's on sale at Amazon for $169.

Questions:

1: My wife canNOT stand medium rare meat. Me either, to be honest.  Way too bloody. So, what temp will I have to set it at to get it cooked medium to medium well?  Maybe there is a guide that comes with it.

2:  Not this time, but in the future I will want to introduce the 4D into the equation and add some smoke. How would I go about that while not "cooking" it, but also not risking food born disease? ;)

Congrats!  Great price.  Here's a thread that should help...Kari really did a great job with this!

Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature and Safety Guidelines
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

icebob

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
to be honest, I will not cook the chuck roast higher than 131f, reason is you will prolly end up with pulled beef instead of slice able piece of meat... just sear longer to achieve your doneness... so far I've done a bunch of 4 days and 1 3 days... my next one will be 3 days...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Durangosmoker

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
Congrats on the Anova.  If you are like me, you are going to love it, and want to use it for all sorts of other things (it is great for reheating frozen stuff, by the way).  As for your meat question, I'm not sure whether it would turn it into pulled beef, as someone else posted above, but I would say to set it at whatever temperature you like your meat at (135? 140?), and adjust from there. As has been mentioned, you can always increase the time of the reverse sear if it is more underdone than you like.  I suspect the pulled beef situation is more a function of time than temperature.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 01:35:56 AM »

Questions:

Congrats!  Great price.  Here's a thread that should help...Kari really did a great job with this!

Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature and Safety Guidelines

Thank you!! I haven't had the time lately to respond to posts, even though I have read them.  The link is great, thanks again.

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 01:40:01 AM »
to be honest, I will not cook the chuck roast higher than 131f, reason is you will prolly end up with pulled beef instead of slice able piece of meat... just sear longer to achieve your doneness... so far I've done a bunch of 4 days and 1 3 days... my next one will be 3 days...
I just want to make sure it isn't bloody.  My wife definitely won't eat it.  No questions.  I won't unless it's just above medium to medium rare.  I don't care if it's sliced or pulled.  Unless I'm trying to do the poor mans (me) version of prime rib.  Then I need to be more careful. :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »
I just want to make sure it isn't bloody.  My wife definitely won't eat it.  No questions.  I won't unless it's just above medium to medium rare.  I don't care if it's sliced or pulled.  Unless I'm trying to do the poor mans (me) version of prime rib.  Then I need to be more careful. :)

At 131, and at least 3 days, the chuck will be a medium-pink, very tender, and in no way bloody.  If she can get past the color, it's wonderful!
Tony from NW Arkansas

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »

At 131, and at least 3 days, the chuck will be a medium-pink, very tender, and in no way bloody.  If she can get past the color, it's wonderful!
  Well, I just put it in the water bath 5 minutes ago.  Set the temperature to 143 originally, but after reading your post here, I've decided to lower it to 135.  She CAN'T get past the color, so I have to try and accommodate her without ruining the meat. ;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:47:48 PM »
Should be OK, Scott.  However you go, it will be very tender at 3 days.  Even low-temp, like 131-135, over extended time, breaks down the meat fibers and really tenderizes it.  Weird, but it works!
Tony from NW Arkansas

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »
Should be OK, Scott.  However you go, it will be very tender at 3 days.  Even low-temp, like 131-135, over extended time, breaks down the meat fibers and really tenderizes it.  Weird, but it works!
Can't wait to try it when we get home Sunday evening.  Now, to figure out what to do with the packer brisket we picked up the other day, too. ;)