Author Topic: Sous Vide Porterhouse  (Read 2638 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Sous Vide Porterhouse
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of sous vide steaks.  I had been doing them 2 1/2 hours at 129, but didn't like the texture, so hadn't done one in awhile.  I changed my technique, on a big Porterhouse from Sam's.  I went 2 hours at 128, then gave a sear on the NexGrill sear burner.  Wow.  The texture was much better, perfectly medium-rare throughout, and tasted great!  I will do more, like this, to confirm this is the magic formula!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:54:22 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Sous Vide Porterhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:17:35 AM »
Looks awesome Tony!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of sous vide steaks.  I had been doing them 2 1/2 hours at 129, but didn't like the texture, so hadn't done one in awhile.  I changed my technique, on a big Porterhouse from Sam's.  I went 2 hours at 128, then gave a sear on the NexGrill sear burner.  Wow.  The texture was much better, perfectly medium-rare throughout, and tasted great!  I will do more, like this, to confirm this is the magic formula!

This is close to what I've tried with steaks.  What was your prep like?  I recently went to Costco to get some bone-in rib roasts but they didn't have bone in.  I was told they only had bone-in around holidays!  I decided to get a couple of their really thick boneless rib steaks.  Hope to try them soon. 
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »
Nice Tony! I haven't gotten an Anova yet but it's on my list....  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
This is close to what I've tried with steaks.  What was your prep like?  I recently went to Costco to get some bone-in rib roasts but they didn't have bone in.  I was told they only had bone-in around holidays!  I decided to get a couple of their really thick boneless rib steaks.  Hope to try them soon.

Prep was a simple coating of Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning (my go-to beef seasoning, period), and seal in a FoodSaver bag.  When they come out of the bath, you pat them dry with paper towels, give a light coat of olive oil and a little more rub, then sear.  Simple, but very good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
That did it, I'm having steaks tonight! LOL!!

Looks awesome Tony!
Jason from Conyers GA