Author Topic: SI-II not exceeding 275 during smoke  (Read 2811 times)

RandyJ

SI-II not exceeding 275 during smoke
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

Looking for some feedback with any SI-II owners who have bypassed the factory rheostat and using the Auber. Prior to my smoke, I installed a switched bypass of the factory rheostat. With nothing in the smoker, I was able to get the smoker up to 300 degrees, so I figured I was all set for my smoke. Put 2 chickens in, had 2 of the SI water pans in the smoker and set Auber to 325 degrees. Temp did not get above 265 degrees, so of course, chickens were not done when expected.

Could the 2 water pans be preventing the smoker from getting above 265 degrees? Have in-wall auber probe installed as well.

Thanks,
Randy
Randy from Plainfield, IL
SI Model#2, 700 watt, Auber, with removable probe

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: SI-II not exceeding 275 during smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:11:44 PM »
Randy - Welcome from SE Arizona. Just a guess but maybe try just one water pan. Also look at the chicken recipes to see what others are doing.  Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
Water pans are not necessary with poultry. When you mention you are using 2 of the "SI water pans" are you referring to disposable bread pans placed on the floor of the smoker, next to the wood box? Or are you referring to the SI drip pan, which would normally slide under the smoker? Also, the internal temperature of an empty smoker is going to act differently than with 2 chickens in it. The meat mass with moderate the temperature. Seems like you should still be able to get your temperature up to 300 though, so the Auber experts here will have to address that question. Many people here smoke their poultry at 250 or 275, even with the Auber, but that is more of a personal preference.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:00:18 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
Randy, the old 700w element, in a #2, will never get that high with 2 chickens and water pans, in the short time it takes to cook chicken.  I know...been there, tried that.  The 800w element upgrade is well-worth doing; heats much faster.  Even still, though, it's a climb to 325 with a smoker full of cold meat.

Here's my 2ยข, for what it's worth.  The only thing you accomplish by smoking chicken at 325 is extremely shrunken skin, and a lot of exposed meat that gets dry.  It get cooked dark, but does not get crispy, like it would on a rotisserie over fire.  If I have a hankering for crispy chicken skin, they ride the spit on the BBQ.  If I want incredibly moist and tender chicken, minus the skin, they take a ride in the SI at 250.  I've tried every temp up to, and including 325 (in the #3), and have come to the conclusion that 250 makes the absolute best poultry. 

Check out the pics of the 325 birds...not very appealing!  Once you realize that crispy chicken skin is like finding the lost city of Atlantis, in the SI, you'll be happier, and will enjoy really great chicken meat!  I consider skin as a self-contained, organic moisture barrier, that is expendable once it serves its purpose!  And, my big meathead (Cyrus the English Mastiff) loves it!

The bottom pics are turkey and chicken smoked at 250...notice how the skin stays intact!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RandyJ

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses!! Apologies for my late response, but I don't get online that often. I have thought about the 800W element, just haven't pulled the trigger yet, as I typically smoke at the lower temps. Have some questions related to replacement of the element, but will post on another thread.

I am using the "Sasha Flavor Savor" pans from this site, to answer SconnieQ's question.

In the end, not sure I would have eaten the skin anyways, guess I wanted to see how it would operate at the higher temps, and I got my answer!

Thanks again!
Randy

p.s. Salmon in my SI-2 as I am typing.
Randy from Plainfield, IL
SI Model#2, 700 watt, Auber, with removable probe