Author Topic: 3-days chuck roast  (Read 7785 times)

icebob

3-days chuck roast
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »
let's the debate continue! (70hrs to be precise!) this one was closer to prime rib than my previous 4 days, less "mushy" like you guys said ;D nice resistance against the teeth....  i finished it in a 500f oven for 4 minutes and rest 10 minutes before slicing... i think i got the closest to a real prime rib than before..... will do 3 days from now on ( and will try 2 days when on sales again) on the other hand, all that "mushy" talk had me wondering... we are planning a big beef Wellington dinner in a couple weeks so I went and bought a full filet from Costco, portioned it and kept a nice close to 2 inches thick steak for grilling.... I like my filet more on the rare side than medium rare so I cooked it that way (last pic) ( reversed seared on my new Napoleon gasser) and final p[product was around 122f in the plate... I got the mushyness about of a between 3 and 4 days chuck... was just a reminder of what a real tender piece of meat feels...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 3-days chuck roast
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »
Wow, Bob, the texture of that looks a lot better than the 4-day!  Nice!  The filet looks great, too.  Guess I missed it - did you SV the filet, or what?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
No the filet was reverse seared the usual way on the grill... was just amazed how the texture was close to the long sous vide cooking after about 6 month of cheap cut cooking!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
( reversed seared on my new Napoleon gasser)

Which Napoleon did you get?  I've got the Prestige Pro 500 and love it. But funny thing is, I've never used the searing station. I think that's about to change now that I've got an Anova.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »
( reversed seared on my new Napoleon gasser)

Which Napoleon did you get?  I've got the Prestige Pro 500 and love it. But funny thing is, I've never used the searing station. I think that's about to change now that I've got an Anova.

I've never had a searing station before, either, but have one on my NegGrill.  Searing station + SV = A match made in heaven! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »
Divot, I've been reading about your Searzall, I may end up getting one of those if I really get into this sous vide thing.  It seams easier to brown the outside without actually cooking the inside.

I'm a little nervous about using that searing station. I think mine gets up to 1800F.  That may be wrong but when they were delivering it, I thought that's what the guy told me. I'll probably gently place a steak or chuck on there and immediately turn it over, then remove it.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
Libo, my searing burner runs at 800°, which works perfect! I find it hard to believe yours goes to 1800!  I think you may have heard him actually say 800, but I could be wrong!  At any rate, 800 is great!  The SearzAll has its place, but for steaks, and chuckies, you can't beat the flavor you get from the grill!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:43:04 AM »
I think you have to be right on that!
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:49:13 AM »
Hmmmm... Got curious and went to their website.  This is what they advertise:

Prestige PRO Series PRO500RSIB gives you a total of six burners. Four bottom tube burners made with 304 stainless steel give you the durability and heat control that Napoleon is known for. The infrared SIZZLE ZONE™ side burner heats to 1800°C in seconds. That means searing the perfect, steak house style meal in minutes. The SIZZLE ZONE™ is a piece of ceramic that has thousands of tiny portholes. Gas is forced through these holes and lit. The ceramic grows red hot in seconds, producing infrared heat. Easily lock in the juices and self baste your meals with the rotisserie burner.

I think Celsius was a typo. Here is another off their brochure:

Napoleon infrared grills use ceramic burners with thousands of evenly spaced  flame ports to generate infrared radiant energy. The  flame energy is absorbed by the ceramic, which then glows and heats up to an incredible 1800 ̊F. This remarkable SIZZLE ZONE TM heat intensity quickly sears your food to lock in moisture and flavor. The results are unmistakable - succulent,  flavorful food in a much-reduced grilling time! Napoleon’s infrared grilling technology makes serving the perfect meal quick and easy each and every time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:58:32 AM by Libohunden »
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:18 PM »
Got the same Napoleon Libo... Not sure how hot it gets but it sure get hot, I move the grill in the up position for searing and it's usually 1 minutes each side... do work damned good for the bacon around a filet!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
Wow.  1800°.  That's HOT!!! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

icebob

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »
That's close to the price of the damned grill too ;D
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
Guess you get what you pay for, Bob!  Mine was half that, but the sear temp is half that, too!  (But still works great).
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 12:56:12 PM »
LOL!  That's right!  A dollar per degree of F!!!
The Woodlands, Texas