Author Topic: First brisket in my new 3D (mixed results)  (Read 2425 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
First brisket in my new 3D (mixed results)
« on: May 30, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Well I decided it was time to try out a brisket in the new smoker. The brisket was from RD, 12 lbs and angus beef.

I injected it, used QT for 15 minutes and then rinsed and then coated with mustard and black pepper/salt and garlic.

For this smoke I used a mixture of wine barrel oak and Kiawe, also as an experiment I decided to smoke hot at 275 degrees. Overall the smoke went well, but I have some issues working the PID and I overcooked and most likely over smoked the brisket.

Total time for the smoke was six hours, I then wrapped and placed back in the smoker at 150 degrees for 6 hours.

The brisket was a bit drier than I am used to, the fake smoke ring was faint (next time go with 30 minutes per Jason's post). Overall it was not a bad first attempt, but between smoking the brisket to long and the wood I used, the brisket left a faint taste in the mouth.

My next go with this will be a brisket from Creek Stone Farms, no injection and I will go with Post Oak and lower the temp to around 250-260.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First brisket in my new 3D (mixed results)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
Greg, unless you're foiling the brisket at the stall, I just can't get my head around that 275 for a brisket!  225 gives moist & tender, every time, although it takes longer...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Greg, unless you're foiling the brisket at the stall, I just can't get my head around that 275 for a brisket!  225 gives moist & tender, every time, although it takes longer...

Tony,

Some of the top places in Austin smoke at 250-300 degrees. I have sampled a lot of brisket in Texas, some even do their briskets the day before. One of my goal is to cut down on the smoke time as long as I can keep the results of the longer smoke.

It may just be me, but I am not a fan of starting my brisket in the wee hours.

I plan to give the next one a go at 250 range and will let everyone know what the results are.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:54:59 PM »
Greg,

I know that a lot of smokers use the higher temps, but do they also foil or butcher paper wrap?  What other techniques do they use to counter the drying effect of the higher temps?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!