Author Topic: How many pork butts will fit in my 2d?  (Read 4745 times)

gregor

How many pork butts will fit in my 2d?
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »
Trying to measure by eye between the grocery and the 2d, not going well..

Thoughts?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: How many pork butts will fit in my 2d?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
I'm thinking you can fit two but it depends upon their size. The interior height is the same as the 3 so one per shelf. Just be careful to keep clear of the internal smoker temp probe.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:37:17 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »
I have smoked two 7-8# butts on separate racks in my #2.  I am doubtful that I could get three in at the same time.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

va_rider

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »
My personal best is 3 butts at the same time. It has a lot to do with the shape though. I managed to get 2 6 pounders that were kind of oblong, and I could actually fit two side by side on the 2nd from the top rack. #3 butt was below that, and was an 11 pounder. It was an interesting smoke. Took about 16 hours, but they all almost finished at the same time.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

gregor

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:29:58 PM »
Thanks, I'm thinking about splitting them in half - the Amish market where I shop only has boneless butts, about 6-7 lbs each.  Maybe I can get 3 halfs on one shelf or I can do 2 one day and one the next and reheat.

Not a problem I expected to have - I got the 2d as I live in a townhouse and have gotten complaints about my old tube smoker, so I wanted something that would do less smoke...

CUTiger80

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
I have actually smoked (4) 8-9 pounders (2 on each shelf) in mine, but I would never recommend that to anyone.  They all eventually finished cooking, but the box temperature swing was all over the place, and they didn't all finish at the same time.  That was before I upgraded to the 800W heating element, but I still wouldn't try it again.  I try to stick to doing only 2 at a time since then.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »
Thanks, I'm thinking about splitting them in half - the Amish market where I shop only has boneless butts, about 6-7 lbs each.  Maybe I can get 3 halfs on one shelf or I can do 2 one day and one the next and reheat.

Not a problem I expected to have - I got the 2d as I live in a townhouse and have gotten complaints about my old tube smoker, so I wanted something that would do less smoke...

Gregor, forget the Amish market's bonless butts, and go find you a bone-in Boston butt!  You, and your diners, will be much happier.  Do you have access to a Sam's, or butcher shop, where you live?  Boneless butts are not as predictable, or good, for pulled pork as the bone-in Boston, and cutting them that small will be a challenge to smoke, as well!  Anything less than 7 lbs can take up to twice as long.  Don't ask for the science behind this statement, just trust the experience that knows it's true. ;)

Go find you a big 'ol 8-10 lb bone-in Boston butt (make sure that's exactly what you ask for), and live the Southern pulled pork BBQ dream! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »
+1

Amish market that sells non in bone butts?   

I'd check under their straw hats and see the Cadillac they drive home.

A boneless butt is a pork shoulder, not a boston butt with the bone in.

Just get a 9 to 11 lb in bone and let it rip.   It works, trust us!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Elliottbte

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 07:48:05 AM »
Go find you a big 'ol 8-10 lb bone-in Boston butt (make sure that's exactly what you ask for), and live the Southern pulled pork BBQ dream! 8)

DM, can I assume that two 8-10 lb butts fit well in an SI#2?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
Yes, Brad.   I have done two 8-9lb butts a couple of times with no problem in my #2.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Papa Rick

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »
I did 4 in my # 2 couple of weeks ago.  Got them from Sam Club.  2 were 7lb and 8lb, and the other two were 7.5lb and 6lb.

They were done in the same amount of time that I normally do 2 in.  Had probes in all four of them.  I placed the two heavy ones 2nd shelf from bottom and two lighter ones 2nd shelf from top.

They were all done at the same time. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:46:22 PM by Papa Rick »
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker