Author Topic: 3 day Chuck Roast  (Read 2630 times)

Durangosmoker

3 day Chuck Roast
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I did a 4 day chuck roast, which, as we know, is simply amazing.  But I felt the texture was a bit too tender, almost mushy. So I finally got around to doing another one, but this time I went for fast food, and only (!) cooked it in the sous vide for 3 days at 131.  The result, simply terrific! Still fork tender, and amazingly juicy, but without that slightly mealy texture that I didn't like with the 4 day cook. Next time I am going to try it at 2 days, though that may not be long enough. But for me, 3 days is the max from now on.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 3 day Chuck Roast
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »
I think I'm going to try a 3-day this week.  I'm also a little put-off on the soft texture of 4 days.  Don't get me wrong, it's really tasty, but I like a little more texture to the meat. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ArsenalFan

Re: 3 day Chuck Roast
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »
I too thought the 4-day roast may have been a bit too tender/mushy.  I think I'm going to try the 3-day next (and season it differently)...and I hope I get the same results you did.
Ben
Solon, OH
Smokin-It #3D
MES30 (using as cold-smoker...nevermind, fixed)
MES40 (currently used as a re-wiring project)