Author Topic: How much wood should I order?  (Read 5611 times)

Greenenvey

How much wood should I order?
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
Hi everyone, in going to be getting my new #2d soon. I want to order some wood, so it will be here when I receive the smoker. My question is  how much can I order at once, does it go bad? Does it need stored in a special temp? Any and all imfo is very much appreciated!
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: How much wood should I order?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:56:44 AM »
I get mine from Smokinlicious. Great wood. I would get a box with two kinds. It doesn't go bad although if you live in a humid climate you can get some mold. A little bleach water fixes that. I haven't had a problem. These smokers are very efficient. Think 5-6 oz of wood for a large pork butt so you aren't going to go through a lot of wood.  :) Just store in a place that it can "breath" a little and it will last indefinitely. Enjoy!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Greenenvey

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
Well that's great to hear, thank you for your response!!! I'll get some wood ordered !!
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
If you go with smokinlicious, be sure to get the double filet cut as they fit best in the smoke box (although some pieces may need to be split).   I ordered a double filet box with cherry and hickory and it has lasted me about a year.  I will be ordering the three-pack variety next time.   They advise you to punch holes in the sides of the box for air flow and to just keep the wood in the box.  That's what I did and I keep it in the garage...I have had no problems at all with the wood and highly recommend the company!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Greenenvey

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:50:15 PM »
If you go with smokinlicious, be sure to get the double filet cut as they fit best in the smoke box (although some pieces may need to be split).   I ordered a double filet box with cherry and hickory and it has lasted me about a year.  I will be ordering the three-pack variety next time.   They advise you to punch holes in the sides of the box for air flow and to just keep the wood in the box.  That's what I did and I keep it in the garage...I have had no problems at all with the wood and highly recommend the company!
Great imfo I appreciate it!
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »
For those wondering on what size to order, I got hickory, cherry & maple from Smokinlicious, small box 1/3 cu ft, 11 lbs. If I use 3.5 oz of wood each week, it should last one year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:46:30 PM by Charlie »
Charlie
Oberlin, Ohio
New SI #2 owner
Smokin for 4

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
All my favorites, Charlie! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!