Author Topic: Gobble Gobble in the #2  (Read 5027 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Gobble Gobble in the #2
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
Every Thanksgiving I buy a couple of extra turkeys while they are cheap. This was the week to break one out. I brined it overnight in 1 gal water, 1C Kosher salt, 1C brown Sugar, plus spices (marjoram, onion, garlic, pepper). Rinsed and then sprinkled more garlic powder, marjoram and thyme on the bird after a light coat of olive oil. Gave it a mirepoix treatment in the cavity with onion, carrot, and celery. Into the smoker at 250 deg with 4 oz of sugar maple. Five hours later I hit 165 IT. Results below. The breasts were really juicy. I cut them up for later turkey pot pie. The other meat we had for dinner. The carcass will make Chinese con gee (rice porridge). Good eats all around and lots of meals out of the bird.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

Re: Gobble Gobble in the #2
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »
That's one beautiful bird! Smoked to.perfection!😋
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »
Awesome looking bird.

Awesome looking Avatar too Dale. I am a diehard Cowboys fan since I was in Third grade.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »
Perfect!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »
Great job Bob! That bird looks perfect
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Thanks guys! I really liked that the skin stayed intact on it so it was really pretty plus really tasty.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »
Thanks guys! I really liked that the skin stayed intact on it so it was really pretty plus really tasty.

That's why I've settled on 250 for skinned poultry.  Much higher, and it wouldn't have! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
And this my friends is what you use leftover turkey breast for...  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
Bob, I like the way you think.   8) 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
Nice lookin' pot pies, Bob!! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

Durangosmoker

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 08:07:23 PM »
Those Pot Pies look downright purdy!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 06:34:49 PM »
Every Thanksgiving I buy a couple of extra turkeys while they are cheap. This was the week to break one out. I brined it overnight in 1 gal water, 1C Kosher salt, 1C brown Sugar, plus spices (marjoram, onion, garlic, pepper). Rinsed and then sprinkled more garlic powder, marjoram and thyme on the bird after a light coat of olive oil. Gave it a mirepoix treatment in the cavity with onion, carrot, and celery. Into the smoker at 250 deg with 4 oz of sugar maple. Five hours later I hit 165 IT. Results below. The breasts were really juicy. I cut them up for later turkey pot pie. The other meat we had for dinner. The carcass will make Chinese con gee (rice porridge). Good eats all around and lots of meals out of the bird.  :)

Do you recall the turkey wt.?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
Sue, from what I recall it was about 12.5 pounds. I usually try to keep it below 13 pounds so that it doesn't hang at bad temps for long.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »

Do you recall the turkey wt.?

Sue - just a tip for picking a turkey:  Keep it 14 lbs or less.  Any larger, and it stays in the "danger zone" temperature (40-140) too long.  Better to smoke 2 smaller birds, if you need more than that.  Stay away from the giant 20-pounders!
Tony from NW Arkansas