Author Topic: Open Box Sale at ThermoWorks  (Read 4296 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Open Box Sale at ThermoWorks
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »
I just ordered a ThermaQ from ThermoWorks, on sale plus the probes also on sale. The sale is not available through their regular site but only through their news letter.  Here is a link.  Still pricey but less than normal and getting one is now out of my system. No more coulda-shoulda-woulda. Going to have a beer.

http://campaign.thermoworks.com/2016_04_07_openbox_savings_com.html
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Open Box Sale at ThermoWorks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
Congratulations Dave!  Have one for me! 8)   Nah...just kidding!  I'll have one with you! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
Cheers!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »
It is here!  Nice zippered case, rubber glove.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Jeffinn

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »
It is here!  Nice zippered case, rubber glove.
Nice! I have a ThermaPen and a ChefAlarm. Both of them are flawless. their products are pricey but theres no buyer remorse because they're high quality products and they work extremely well.
 Let us know how it works for you!
Jeff

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »
I will report on how it works the first time I use it.  I bought it for when the time comes to cook multiple large cuts, which is rare.  Usually I just temp one and anything else get the Thermapen treatment at the 'best guesstimate' time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
I've got the ChefAlarm, a ThermaPen, and a BlueTherm Duo. It really doesn't get any better than Thermoworks. If you look at their full product line, and see the stuff that they make for scientific applications, the company is really impressive. Grilling/Smoking isn't their main business, but temperature definitely is. Anything I need for temperature monitoring, they're my first stop.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

eclecticitguy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
I've got the ChefAlarm, a ThermaPen, and a BlueTherm Duo.

Hey Aaron, how do you like your BlueTherm Duo?  I'm a huge fan of Thermoworks and have had their ThermaPen for a couple years now.  I've read mixed reviews on the BlueTherm Duo in terms of Bluetooth range and IOS software functionality.  People seem to all agree that their thermometers really can't be beat, but that the range of the BlueTerm is pretty lacking and the IOS software doesn't work as expected.

Any thoughts on this matter, as I'm thinking of picking up the BlueTherm Duo myself. 

Thanks!
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2

va_rider

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
I've got the ChefAlarm, a ThermaPen, and a BlueTherm Duo.

Hey Aaron, how do you like your BlueTherm Duo?  I'm a huge fan of Thermoworks and have had their ThermaPen for a couple years now.  I've read mixed reviews on the BlueTherm Duo in terms of Bluetooth range and IOS software functionality.  People seem to all agree that their thermometers really can't be beat, but that the range of the BlueTerm is pretty lacking and the IOS software doesn't work as expected.

Any thoughts on this matter, as I'm thinking of picking up the BlueTherm Duo myself. 

Thanks!

Coming from the Maverick to the BlueTherm, I love it. Yeah, the range isn't amazing, but that's to be expected with bluetooth. I've rigged up a mount that mounts the BlueTherm to the inside of the door of the porch where the smoker is. I run the wires out the crack of the door, and into the smoker. This allows good range all over the first floor of my house. (about a 1400sqft area) I can't go upstairs and maintain signal, but it's an old house with plaster walls.  I have an old (out of service) Android phone (HTC M8) thats only purpose is to thether to the bluetherm.

Here's my thinking on it. You toss something in the smoker, you have a decent idea of when you should be expecting it to be done. I make sure to be on the first floor of the house around that time. If I have a 14# brisket on, I'll make sure that about 12-13 hours in, I'm sitting downstairs on the couch with a beer, so I'm within range.

The lack of range, I'm willing to compromise on a little bit, and make it work. The gross failure in temperature readings from the Maverick, I wasn't willing to compromise on. When I plug in the Maverick in my kitchen and have one probe reading 40 degrees, and the other reading 105...... well.. I don't trust it well enough to put a $100 piece of meat in its hands. With the BlueTherm, I'm comfortable putting a $150 ribeye roast on the smoker and trusting that the readings are accurate.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

eclecticitguy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »

Coming from the Maverick to the BlueTherm, I love it. Yeah, the range isn't amazing, but that's to be expected with bluetooth. I've rigged up a mount that mounts the BlueTherm to the inside of the door of the porch where the smoker is. I run the wires out the crack of the door, and into the smoker. This allows good range all over the first floor of my house. (about a 1400sqft area) I can't go upstairs and maintain signal, but it's an old house with plaster walls.  I have an old (out of service) Android phone (HTC M8) thats only purpose is to thether to the bluetherm.

Here's my thinking on it. You toss something in the smoker, you have a decent idea of when you should be expecting it to be done. I make sure to be on the first floor of the house around that time. If I have a 14# brisket on, I'll make sure that about 12-13 hours in, I'm sitting downstairs on the couch with a beer, so I'm within range.

The lack of range, I'm willing to compromise on a little bit, and make it work. The gross failure in temperature readings from the Maverick, I wasn't willing to compromise on. When I plug in the Maverick in my kitchen and have one probe reading 40 degrees, and the other reading 105...... well.. I don't trust it well enough to put a $100 piece of meat in its hands. With the BlueTherm, I'm comfortable putting a $150 ribeye roast on the smoker and trusting that the readings are accurate.

Thanks for the feedback, Aaron.  I'm forwarding this message to my wife, so she knows what to get me for my upcoming birthday!  :-)   I definitely need to get out of the habit of using my Thermapen to measure the box temperature.
Will
Southern CA
Smokin-It Model 2