Author Topic: Jalapeño Bacon Mac & Cheese  (Read 3584 times)

RG

Jalapeño Bacon Mac & Cheese
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:53:37 PM »
I have been holding out on you guys, lol. As y'all know, I have some recipes that I don't divulge. This one used to be on that list but I figured I can let one slip through the cracks :)

This is NOT a Kraft Boxed Mac. This is the REAL DEAL COMFORT FOOD Mac & Cheese and it's rich, full of calories and it's also insanely expensive to make. It's not something I make often as I gain 5 pounds just looking at it but sometimes you just gotta say to heck with it and indulge. No Joke here, this recipe will set you back about $30.00 or more if you adhere to it (which I'd recommend). If you change it, it won't be as I've created it, if you must tinker with it (perfectly alright mind you), do it the SECOND time you make it. Try it my way first ;) Oh yes, there will be a second time.......and a third and a fourth........

Here we go!

Ingredients

1 (16-ounce) box rigatoni noodles
    8 ounces freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (from block)
    8 ounces freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese (from block)
    8 ounces freshly shredded Boar’s Head White American cheese (from block)
    2 cups heavy cream
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    6 slices Big Eye Swiss cheese
    6 slices Smoked Gouda cheese
    1 Large fresh Jalapeño pepper
    6 Strips Wright Brand Applewood Bacon (pay the extra, it’s worth it!)
    1 can Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup
    3 Tablespoons Sour Cream

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat and season with salt. Add pasta and cook until just tender, about 12 minutes or according to package. Drain well in a colander without rinsing.
3) Fry up bacon until it’s crispy but not TOO crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towel. Take the Jalapeño and roast it over gas stove eye until it blisters and chars evenly. If you don’t have a gas stove, you can use a torch or an outside grill. Once charred, place in a plastic bag to sweat it then after a few minutes you can chop off the stem, peel it and seed it then dice into a fairly small dice to make it easy to incorporate into the mac. More can be added but I find that 1 large pepper is the right amount of flavor needed.
4) Transfer pasta to a large bowl. Add half the Cheddar, Monterey Jack and American reserving the rest for the top. Add heavy cream and stir to combine. Add Sour Cream and Cheddar Cheese Soup. Stir to combine and then taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Crumble up the bacon that you fried and toss it into the mixture along with the diced Jalapeño. Transfer the noodle mixture to a medium, buttered gratin dish or casserole. Do this in layers. After first layer, top with 6 slices of Swiss cheese, add another layer of noodles then top with 6 slices of Gouda. Add another layer of noodles then sprinkle with remaining grated cheeses.
5) Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove to a rack to cool slightly before serving.
Final thoughts - Be sure you taste the uncooked mixture, salt is your friend here. Salt your pasta water well and you may still need salt added to the mixture, even though there’s bacon and cheddar in there, both salty. I even use salted butter (the real stuff, no Parkay BS, no “I can’t believe it’s not butter” I can believe it, it’s NOT!) to butter the casserole dish. It does come out a little oily but so what? I ain’t worried, lol.

I know it's hard to believe, but it tastes better than it looks.

Enjoy and be sure to thank me later :)
Jason from Conyers GA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Jalapeño Bacon Mac & Cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:58:36 PM »
Looks pretty low cal to me Jason.  :o I actually make a similar "adult" mac and cheese and love the additional flavors. I'll have to give your version a try. Thanks for sharing.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:05:24 PM »
Looks pretty low cal to me Jason.  :o I actually make a similar "adult" mac and cheese and love the additional flavors. I'll have to give your version a try. Thanks for sharing.

Please do, let me know what you think. The reason I like it is that unlike traditional Macaroni and Cheese this one does not require you to make a bechamel or a roux and there also is not any mustard powder involved. Despite this, everyone that I've served this to would think that it's made the traditional way and they compliment it. The Bacon and Japs are new to the recipe, I threw them in just to experiment and LOVED it. As a matter of fact, I'll be eating some more here soon for dinner, along with Brunswick stew and spiral hot dogs done on the grill with split top buns. It's a potluck you might say!
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »
I can actually hear your arteries hardening from here, just looking at your pictures & ingredients.  That makes me want to try it that much more! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »
I can actually hear your arteries hardening from here, just looking at your pictures & ingredients.  That makes me want to try it that much more! ;D

I am not so sure I like the sound of that, lol. That may be the worst compliment I've ever gotten :) :P

You're right though, it's not something you eat often. I make this maybe 2-3 times a year and usually only eat one serving. This time I ate two. One yesterday and one tonight. The rest was cut up into squares and vac sealed in food saver bags for whenever. My wife actually looks after some old folks 3 times a week and I know she's taking some stew with her tomorrow, they like it! I am trying to get her to take some mac and slaw too. I like to feed others instead of it going to waste. Otherwise it'll sit in the freezer for whenever the mood strikes.
Jason from Conyers GA