Author Topic: Beer can chicken recipe?  (Read 3348 times)

allmann

Beer can chicken recipe?
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
I can't find one. I figured doing it in the smoker would be a good mix.  Is it not done because of the such low temperatures? What are your thoughts/suggestions?
Kevin
Lacey NJ

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Beer can chicken recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
I think that with the SI all you will need the beer can for is to hold the beer you want to drink while enjoying lazy Q! Seriously, the SI makes such a moist result that I doubt you will see any difference. Hence not many recipes.....  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
Kevin, don't waste your time.  Just lay your whole bird flat.  You'll find brining the bird, and even filling with chopped celery, onion and carrots, will give you a more moist and tender bird than anyone has ever achieved over a beer can!  The other problem with sitting the bird vertical, is that all of the good basting juices run out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:09:40 PM »
I used Tony's brine with OJ, rosemary etc.... although I like beer, I ended up using lemon lime soda as I drink my beer in bottles and didn't have a can handy..
it worked out very well. pictures etc.. are in the post

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4855.msg44604#msg44604

I had a beer can rack from Christmas that I wanted to try as in the picture. I have not done a bird flat so I defer to Tony's expertise
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, Tom!  I appreciate it.  Here's how I still do whole birds:

Brined Whole Chicken

The "mire poix" (equal parts chopped celery, onion and carrots) is unbelievable.  I sometimes add in a little chopped apple or lemon.  These aromatic veggies really add an amazing flavor to the meat, help stabilize the cooking, and self-baste the bird from the inside-out.  It is absolutely the most moist, flavorful chicken/turkey I've ever had!  The mire poix is not my idea; we had a guy on here, quite awhile ago, that was a chef.  He introduced us to it, and I've used it ever since! 

I used to rotisserie chicken all the time on the grill.  I did one a couple of weeks ago, just for fun.  Although the skin comes out great on the grill, there was no comparison in the meat!  I didn't realize how much drier it is, compared to smoking at 250 with the veggies in the gut! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
Makes sense, that was what I was thinking. Thank you. i will try the mire poix next time
Kevin
Lacey NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
I like beer can chicken for the hoppy flavor I get.  When I don't beer can, my preferred method of smoking is to hang them from a hook.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

allmann

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:40:37 PM »
what advantages do you get with the hook
Kevin
Lacey NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »
It cooks evenly from all sides rather than having one side facing the heat.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah