Author Topic: 2 Racks Of Ribs #racklivesmatter  (Read 3939 times)

RG

2 Racks Of Ribs #racklivesmatter
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
I smoked one rack for Mrs. RG on the Smokin-It #3 and I did a rack on the Pit Barrel Cooker. Hers have a newer rub that she's been tinkering with and mine have one of the rubs that came with the PBC (beef & game) and I cooked them for about 3.5 hours and went to check on them to sauce them with a Jack Daniels BBQ sauce I made up this morning and found that they had fallen! Luckily for me, the bar of the charcoal basket kept it from dropping into the coals. I think I got lucky and caught it real soon after it happened. I ended up retrieving them with some tongs and then just applying the sauce and letting it set on the grill grate. Still turned out very good ;)

I am not done there! I also made up some coleslaw and a pot of Brunswick stew, Jalapeno and Bacon Mac & Cheese. Lastly I made up some Texas Toast to go with it all.

No pictures of Mrs. RG's rack, just mine :P Sorry! I was too busy arranging the photo shoot of my plate to worry about her rack. Ribs of course ;)

Take a gander why don't you?

Jason from Conyers GA

JackT

Re: 2 Racks Of Ribs #racklivesmatter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »
Looking pretty good there RG! You wouldn't happen to have that in a "low calorie" version do ya? Ha!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

RG

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
Lol, this is the low calorie version  :o
Jason from Conyers GA

drains

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »
You hit a home run again RG! Going to start calling you The Babe! That was some good luck with the ribs catching on the bar the way they did. Really enjoy the pics too! How is the temp control on that drum?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

RG

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:39:17 AM »
You hit a home run again RG! Going to start calling you The Babe! That was some good luck with the ribs catching on the bar the way they did. Really enjoy the pics too! How is the temp control on that drum?

First of all, before I answer your question I would like to say that I feel bad for not posting more cooks done on the SI3!! I did make a killer rack on it yesterday for the wife and guess what? I used TQ on those bad boys and had a nice smoke ring, Pork Belly would be proud, lol. I was going to post it as well but I didn't snap a picture and my wife didn't either. Usually she'll take a pic of her plate, oh well!

Now....the temp is basically set it and forget it. The way it is designed is that you set the bottom intake for what elevation you are at, 0-2000 feet above sea level, 2000-?. I am under 2000 so where it was set from the factory is where I left it. The top vents are where the rebar passes though, it's configured to run with those in place with the extra opening around the rebar acting as exhaust vents. It will run in the neighborhood of 275° to 300°. There are ways to lower it and raise it obviously but as designed, lid on, rebar in place it's set it and forget it. I don't want to say TOO much about it on this forum, go to youtube and watch Noah's videos, he's the guy who designed it. It's a fantastic story behind the PBC. He's a soldier who has fought in wars, came home and started this company, he and his wife. I love success stories like his. There is a current lawsuit going on where he is basically suing a company he hired to help him manufacture the PBC and they then began using all of his research to begin making their own similar cooker! DESPICABLE!! That's the MAIN reason I ordered one, to help him out and support a Hero. You can google more about that too if you're interested.
Jason from Conyers GA

drains

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
Thanks RG. I'm not in the market just curious as to how it works for you. Looks like you've got the method down pretty good.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

RG

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »
Thanks RG. I'm not in the market just curious as to how it works for you. Looks like you've got the method down pretty good.

For a coal burner, it's about the easiest thing to use that I've owned. It's almost like Lazy-Q lol. You fill your charcoal basket, take out 1/4 of the briquettes and light in a chimney starter, wait 15 minutes, dump them onto the unlit coals and add food at that moment. Close the lid and you're off! On a full basket, it'll burn 8 hours. For a non insulated barrel, that's pretty dang impressive! The chicken I made on it was killer, it's the first thing I cooked on it and I will be doing more for the little "luau" thingy I'm doing in June. The SI will be doing a butt, so it'll get in on the festivities too!
Jason from Conyers GA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »
Jason, way to pull that one out of the fire, so to speak. Looks like a great meal.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »
'Twas tasty BB! I am shocked no one has said anything yet about #RACKlivesmatter. Come one guys, I thought that was hilarious, lol. I guess I better stick to cooking :P
Jason from Conyers GA

JackT

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »
'Twas tasty BB! I am shocked no one has said anything yet about #RACKlivesmatter. Come one guys, I thought that was hilarious, lol. I guess I better stick to cooking :P
Actually, I thought that was pretty good as well, when are you going to start selling the t-shirts?
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

RG

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »
Actually, I thought that was pretty good as well, when are you going to start selling the t-shirts?

I guess now? Send me $30.00 and I'll send one out asap :)
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
Actually, Jason, I thought the hashtag expression was priceless - and marketable!  lol!  Maybe you should start making t-shirts!  I'd buy one!  Maybe add #HandsUpDon'tSauce!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »
Actually, Jason, I thought the hashtag expression was priceless - and marketable!  lol!  Maybe you should start making t-shirts!  I'd buy one!  Maybe add #HandsUpDon'tSauce!

Oooh! I like that one too, lol!! What about one with a guy standing over his SI smoker that says #Can'tBreathe-TooMuchSmoke

Ok, now I know I am heading to a fiery eternity if I keep this up lol
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
#BlueSmokeMatters.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!