Author Topic: PID for temp monitoring after the cook?  (Read 3926 times)

Tom

PID for temp monitoring after the cook?
« on: April 03, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
I'd like to figure out if it's possible to use the thermocouple readout on the 3D after the cook for temp monitoring. Meaning, I simply want to use the 3D as it's own Cambro type holding box. I purposely ran a cook this morning on a brisket going quick (foiled at 155). Now I just want to monitor the temp, but I couldn't figure out how to do this without hearing it beeping End-End constantly. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, to no avail.

Is it possible to just have it read out the meat probe temp without actually continuing to heat the element?

Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Tom

Re: PID for temp monitoring after the cook?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »
Just to add, my train of thought right now, is I'm leaving the door closed, it's double wrapped tightly in heavy duty foil and the probe is still in. It's going to hold above 140 for quite a long time, which is all I want. But I want to be able to monitor it the easy way.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Change your program to time, instead of internal temp.  If you are using the box to hold meat, like a cambro, you want to set your program to 140 for food safety.  C01 140, e01 t, t01 x hours.  As long as the meat probe is plugged in, it will read in the right window, regardless of the setting for time or temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tom

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:55:17 PM »
Change your program to time, instead of internal temp.  If you are using the box to hold meat, like a cambro, you want to set your program to 140 for food safety.  C01 140, e01 t, t01 x hours.  As long as the meat probe is plugged in, it will read in the right window, regardless of the setting for time or temp.

Thank you! I'll have to try that next time. I didn't have much time to figure it out, I just wanted to stretch the time it stayed hot so I could eat at 5 instead of 2PM.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »
Tom, if you wrap your meat and put back in the smoker to hold, leave it off, with the door open while you wrap it.  These smokers retain heat so well that you need to let it cool (or you'll continue cooking).  Once the box temp is 140 or below, put the meat back in to hold it.  I've held as much as 6 hours in the smoker, at 140, with no problem.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

JackT

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Tony, that will work, as I've tried it myself. If you didn't have the IT probe inserted, you'll get the "H" sensor error showing in the right window. If you're cooking with it in, and the program changes when you achieve the IT you've programmed it for, it will change to the new program, i.e., 140 for say 4 hours, but the IT will continue to read on the right window and the current box temp will continue to show in the left window with no green light on. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the temp will hold fairly well unless you open the doors. If the ambient temp outside is very low, it will come down faster, but when it's warm, not so fast. So yes, you can program it and it will stop heating, but it will move down slowly. For big hunks of meat, they should be fine holding for a while.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D