Author Topic: Power light doesnt work  (Read 4977 times)

TJ

Power light doesnt work
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
Smoker works but the power light doesn't turn on.
Suggestions?
Crossville Tennessee

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Power light doesnt work
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
The power light will cycle on and off as the element is engaged by the temp controller. It doesn't stay on constantly.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
If you are saying that it never comes on, there may be a disconnected wire or defective light. But this pretty uncommon. If this is the case I would contact Steve at Smokin-It And he'll take care of you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TJ

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 12:32:39 AM »
The power light will cycle on and off as the element is engaged by the temp controller. It doesn't stay on constantly.

I know that:) The power light just doesn't come on at all.
Crossville Tennessee

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:24:32 AM »
You could pull the back panel off and make sure a wire did not come disconnected then. If the wires/connections appear to be intact, I would call/text Steve and he'll take care of you.

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into this issue in your brand new smoker, but it should be easily resolved. Let us know what you find out.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

TJ

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »
Smoker isn't brand new. I had it for about a year and a half. I will take off the back panel and check it out before contacting Steve. Thanks for the advice.
Crossville Tennessee

TJ

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »
Took off the panel and looks like a rivet popped off one end of the heating element and the ground wire to the light fell off. Rivet could of been a screw but there was not a nut anywhere and there were no threads on it. Light works now as it should.
Crossville Tennessee

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:42:21 PM »
Cool! I'm glad to hear you got it fixed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
TJ, that "rivet" is actually a high-temp ring terminal (crimp on) for the light wire.  The power wire, and light wire, both go under the screw at the end of the element.  Gets pretty hot there, and eventually they can fail.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TJ

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 09:09:28 PM »
TJ, that "rivet" is actually a high-temp ring terminal (crimp on) for the light wire.  The power wire, and light wire, both go under the screw at the end of the element.  Gets pretty hot there, and eventually they can fail.

I replaced it with a small screw and a nut. Think it will be OK? Any idea why it has a rivet on one end of the heating element and a screw on the other?
Crossville Tennessee

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »
No idea about a rivet, TJ!  It might have been a early thing they did at the factory?  My #1 is almost 3 years old, and it had screws (I changed the heating element to the 400w version, which I recommend).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!