Author Topic: First smoke in the 3d this weekend  (Read 8099 times)

Dan9327

First smoke in the 3d this weekend
« on: March 10, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
So getting ready and very excited for the first run this weekend. I have a few questions going in though, hoping you guys can help out.

I plan on doing a rack of st louis style ribs, 2 baby backs, and 2-7lb butts. Im going to do the brine recipe for the butts for sure as there has been nothing but crazy praise for it. After that some sort of rub for all of it. I want to get it smoking around 7am saturday morning with the thought being ribs for lunch and butt for dinner (these statements will never stop being weird to say.) This sound about right? 5 hours for ribs and around 10-12 for butt?

Where should I put the meat on the racks. What level does each go on to ensure proper heat levels etc?

When I put in the probe to one of the butts is it safe to assume that they will both be roughly the same temp? Or should I periodically switch to each butt? (one of the most awkward statements I may have ever typed)

Have you guys found a difference between butcher fresh and butts and the kind you buy at bulk stores like sams or bjs? I purchased a 7 lb butcher fresh butt yesterday but it was $4 a lb. I have seen it in bulk stores for $1.49 a lb. Im going to do one of each this weekend for my own experiment but want to hear some feedback from the bbq masters here as well.

Doing everything at 225 should be good right? Butt pulled at 190 and rest for and hour?

6 oz of hickory was my plan but I am concerned about oversmoke on ribs. Should I do three ounces when i start and add 3 ounces when I pull ribs?

Thanks in advance and I will update with pics as I go. Excited to be a part of this community here and hope to learn a lot from you guys.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:30:46 AM by Dan9327 »
Dan from Southern New Jersey
Novice guy with a 3D smoker

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: First smoke in the 3d this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
So getting ready and very excited for the first run this weekend. I have a few questions going in though, hoping you guys can help out.

I plan on doing a rack of st louis style ribs, 2 baby backs, and 2-7lb butts. Im going to do the brine recipe for the butts for sure as there has been nothing but crazy praise for it. After that some sort of rub for all of it. I want to get it smoking around 7am saturday morning with the thought being ribs for lunch and butt for dinner (these statements will never stop being weird to say.) This sound about right? 5 hours for ribs and around 10-12 for butt?   I would allow 5.5 hours for the ribs, unless they a not meaty; the 7# butts should finish within the 10-12 hours range, but I always allow 2hrs/lb to be safe.

Where should I put the meat on the racks.  I think this depends on whether you like your butts on the bottom or the top    ::), but seriously, I think my preference would be ribs on the bottom.    What level does each go on to ensure proper heat levels etc?  I would position the ribs and butts on the second and third racks from the top, assuming you have enough room for clearance.   I believe the two butts will fit on one rack.

When I put in the probe to one of the butts is it safe to assume that they will both be roughly the same temp? Or should I periodically switch to each butt? (one of the most awkward statements I may have ever typed)  They should be close in temp, especially if on the same rack.   I would probe one and leave it alone; when it reaches your desired IT, then move the probe to the other butt until it reaches the desired IT.   If they are both ready at the same time, then remove and double wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling.

Have you guys found a difference between butcher fresh and butts and the kind you buy at bulk stores like sams or bjs? I purchased a 7 lb butcher fresh butt yesterday but it was $4 a lb. I have seen it in bulk stores for $1.49 a lb. Im going to do one of each this weekend for my own experiment but want to hear some feedback from the bbq masters here as well.   I have not noticed a difference, except in price!   I now buy my butts (two pack) from Restaurant Depot, and pay nearly the same as I used to pay for one butt from my local butcher.

Doing everything at 225 should be good right? Butt pulled at 190 and rest for and hour?  I bump my smoker temp to 235F when doing butts...seems to help pushing through the stall.

6 oz of hickory was my plan but I am concerned about oversmoke on ribs. Should I do three ounces when i start and add 3 ounces when I pull ribs?  No, you will be fine with 6oz to start.   I don't recommend adding wood to a hot smoke box!

Thanks in advance and I will update with pics as I go. Excited to be a part of this community here and hope to learn a lot from you guys.   We will be waiting to hear and see! 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
Steve provided some great information.

Personally, I think you might be biting off more than you can chew for your first smoke. I rarely smoke different cuts of meat in the same smoke (multiple of the same cut not a problem) as it can sometimes cause problems. Plus, I don't like opening the door once my meat is smoking as it lets a lot of moisture and heat out of the box.

I also think you are underestimating the time it will take for your butts to get done. For evening meal smokes, I start my butts at 11:00PM-12:00AM the night before and run at 225 not because the butts can't handle 235-240 degrees, but because I am not a morning person and don't want to get up at 6:00-7:00 to get my meat smoking.

Small butts (Less than 7lbs) have proven to take longer than big ones, so with your 7lb butts you are borderline on being considered a smallish cut of meat and especially with two butts as well as ribs in the smoker, I think you should be planning on at least 2/hours per pound to ensure your meal is done on time. You can always rest your meat if it gets done early in the smoker at 140 for a couple of hours and then up to 4 hours double-foil wrapped and in a cooler with some towels on top. The main thing is that you don't want to put yourself in the position of having to crank the heat to try to push through the stall because that is where all the magic happens and I don't want to push through this valuable part of the smoke.

If starting in the morning I would definitely go with 235 as Steve suggested. Pork Butts and Ribs can handle the higher heat (I still prefer 225 for a longer time though myself:)).

My goal for providing information for new SI users is to give them the best odds at having a successful first run to ensure that their first experience is a success, so I usually recommend keeping it simple.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your smoke!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »
Dan, Steve's answer is spot on but I tend to agree with Gregg. You are smoking 3 different meats with each meat finishing at 3 different times. Your baby backs are going to finish first . St. Louis cut spares take slightly longer than the baby backs, and then your butts. The problem is not that those 3 cant be cooked together but for a first smoke its a little ambitious. The timing is going to be the issue with this smoke. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I hope it comes out great!  ;D
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Dan9327

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
Ok great advice so far, thanks guys. Just figured I'd go with some variety to be honest. I didn't want to have 3 and not get some big batches of meat through it. Was torn between 2 and 3 but wanted more space to be able to make quantity. I may regret it but I'm jumping right into the fire so to speak.

I have to be up 630-7 on Saturday morning so I don't want to be up at midnight just to put the meat in. That's why I'm doing morning smoke this time around and why I purchased smaller butts. Didn't realize smaller butts sometimes take longer. That kinda sucks.

I guess I could do the butts and put them in a cooler to rest from like midnight to noon then put ribs in afterwards. I'm not having any formal engagement for this food so timing doesn't matter to me as long as the beer is cold.

Well I'm guessing I won't end up terrible so it will certainly at least be a learning lesson.

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
Ok great advice so far, thanks guys. Just figured I'd go with some variety to be honest. I didn't want to have 3 and not get some big batches of meat through it. Was torn between 2 and 3 but wanted more space to be able to make quantity. I may regret it but I'm jumping right into the fire so to speak.

I have to be up 630-7 on Saturday morning so I don't want to be up at midnight just to put the meat in. That's why I'm doing morning smoke this time around and why I purchased smaller butts. Didn't realize smaller butts sometimes take longer. That kinda sucks.

I guess I could do the butts and put them in a cooler to rest from like midnight to noon then put ribs in afterwards. I'm not having any formal engagement for this food so timing doesn't matter to me as long as the beer is cold.

Well I'm guessing I won't end up terrible so it will certainly at least be a learning lesson.

Dan, great answer! The best way to learn is to practice. Good luck and don't forget to take some pictures to share.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:02:08 PM »
Don't get me wrong, this "can" be done which is why many of us got the #3. But like Jimmy said, it is just a little ambitious for your first smoke.

Another option would be to smoke the butts tomorrow, vacuum seal, and then reheat on Saturday. I have found that my reheated PP tastes as good if not better the second time. I think the smoke flavor penetrates throughout all of the meat and equalizes some verses the bulk of the smoke flavor on the outside pieces of the pork.

It would be a lot easier to combine your rib cuts than combining with the butts.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Dan9327

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:44:29 PM »
Ok so I'll call the audible since its not a huge deal either way. I'll put the butts in tomorrow like 10pm and get those going. I'll set it up to stay in there for hours if it hits IT of 190 before noon Saturday. Then put ribs in around noon-1 if it works out time wise.

Now the only question is should I brine tonight and have it in brine for 24 hours or brine after work tomorrow like 4pm and only get a 6 hour brine.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
Oops...I missed that you had two types of ribs.  The St. Louis spares will take longer than the BB ribs.  I believe the last time I did St. Louis, they went for 6-6.5 hours.  So, I agree with Gregg, you might be better off smoking the butts on one day and then the ribs the next day (or vice versa).   When I do BBs, I usually start around 6am and finish by 4-5pm, but I am smoking typically 8-9lb butts.   Folks have posted on the forum that smaller butts (but I think in the 3-4lb range) tend to require more time - I don't know why.   For the butts, though, allow yourself 2 hours/lb plus 2 hours for resting and you should finish with time to spare.

And remember, if you don't post pics, the smoke didn't happen!   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
Good plan, Dan, I think you will be happy with the results.   I would brine longer rather than shorter, although 24 hours for a butt may be overkill.   Is it possible to brine first thing in the morning tomorrow, rather than tonight?

Also...don't forget a small water pan next to the smoke box when doing the butts.  This provides added moisture.  Most of us use a small AL loaf pan, filled half-way or more with the liquid of your choice (I usually use apple juice).
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
I always brine the night before, which ends up being 24+ hours. Just make sure you rinse the butt off really good and then dry with paper towel prior to applying your mustard binder and rub.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Dan9327

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
Ok good deal. Sounds like you guys set me up with a solid plan. Read a ton on here and got the foil land and apple juice ready as well. Looked at a few places for famous Dave rub but no luck. So gonna look for a recipe and just make something up.

Thanks for the help already guys and will post pics of the progress

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »
Don't forget to punch a hole in your bottom foil for the fat to drip out to the drip pan or you could have a bit of a mess.

Don't ask me how I know that.  :-[
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »
+1, LOL
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
I'm in agreement with the guys, Dan, and think you'll be happy you decided to split up the very different smokes!  Very tough, even for very experienced SI users, to make a smoke like that come out right. 

Maybe I missed it - are your butts actual bone-in Boston butts, or boneless?  The reason I ask is boneless tend to take longer.  Also, I only brine butts 12-13 hours, max. I believe 24 hours is way too long.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!