Author Topic: another question about the #1 and a little guidance needed....  (Read 5274 times)

RaginCajun

• I do a bit of photography work...
Hi guys (and gals)!!!!

Been lurking here a while and reading all the forums on the #1 and #2 models. So I kinda know the answer but gonna ask anyway. So obviously I am debating buying either a #1 or #2. I've read enough to know the answer is buy the larger when in doubt. And that's probably the way I'm leaning but just want to ask a few questions about the #1.

I don't do a lot of smoking at the present but in general when cooking something it's usually baby backs (3 racks) or a boston butt. Haven't done a brisket yet but that's on my list. Most of the time it's just one selection of meat I'm cooking so it seems like the #1 would handle it (maybe depends on the size of a brisket though). But sometimes/rarely I have a need to cook two boston butts at the same time, will the #1 be able to handle that? If not, is that the only justification for a #2? Would the #1 handle all the other situations?

Thanks for any feedback....

Scott

Scott

Gonzales, La.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: another question about the #1 and a little guidance needed....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
I am sure you have looked over the specs on both models:  The model 1 racks are 12X13 and the model 2 are 14 1/2X14 1/2.  Use the search box for brisket model one.  I am sure you will find some answers there. And you are correct in buying larger when in doubt (provided the budget allows for it).
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
I have a #1, and I rarely comment, and am usually reluctant to encourage anyone to buy the #1. Not because I don't feel it would meet anyone's needs, but because this forum tends to be "bigger is better". Fortunately, I did not ask the opinion of the forum before I bought my #1. I was specifically looking for something space-efficient (to replace my cumbersome Weber Smokey Mountain), with a big punch that I could use year round, and store discreetly on my back screen porch without saying "hey everybody, look at my smoker!". It is plenty big enough for my needs. I am not going to do more than one pork butt or one 14 lb turkey at a time. Let's face it, the SI smokers are so easy, if you need an extra pork butt or turkey for the freezer, heck, do it the next day! I can do 3 racks of ribs (each rack cut in half). You could do 4 racks if you want to buy the optional rack guides which give you the option of 4 racks. You might still need to cut the racks in half with the #2. Probably not with the #3. For brisket, you will need to cut it in half, separating the point from the flat, and putting on 2 separate racks with the #1. I believe you still need to do the same with the #2. You can probably fit a whole packer brisket on one rack with the #3. I've had no problem with whole briskets on my #1.

I bought the #1, because I wanted something compact, that when rolled in the corner, would be about the size of a small end table. I roll it to the corner of my porch and put a plant on it. It cooks plenty of food for as many as 4-10 or more depending on what you are smoking. I've never felt the need for a larger SI. But you have to evaluate your individual needs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:41:37 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
Hi Scott, and welcome out of the shadows! :D

You can't go wrong, either way - let your budget decide.  Having experience with all models, except the #4, I'll throw in my 2ยข.  I started out with the #1, since I didn't know anything about Smokin-It back then, and it was to be my first "true" smoker.  I couldn't justify the larger #2.  At that time, the forum was very new, and there just wasn't the input there is today.  I got the #1, and my first impression that it was built very well, but seemed much smaller than I thought it would be.  As Kari said, you can do one pork butt at a time, 3-4 racks of ribs, one whole chicken or turkey, but I differ in opinion on brisket.  Yes, you can fit most brisket flats in there, but if you want to smoke a full packer cut (point and flat), you will have to cut it in half and put the halves on 2 shelves.  Doable, and I've done quite a few of them that way, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a full packer (imo).

Did I regret getting the #1?  To be honest, yes.  Almost immediately, in fact.  Once I saw the quality, and got a few smokes under my belt with it, I knew I'd made the wrong decision on the size.  I thought, at the time, there's no way I'd EVER need a #3, but I'd sure like a #2!  When the #2 arrived, I fell in love.  The specs, on paper, don't seem that much bigger, but it is.  More height, width and depth.  I could fit a reasonably-sized packer brisket in there!  2 butts at a time, if I wanted, too!  Ribs still had to be cut in half, but big deal.  Love the #2, and still use it today.  The old #1 is only used for some side items, and occasionally at that.

Enter the #3!  Got my hands on the new 3D, and Wow!  Although I only regularly smoke for me, my wife and son, you just can't underestimate the Q real estate offered by the #3.  There are no limits!  If you want to smoke really big briskets, you can!  Multiple butts for a party, or event?  Oh yeah!  I don't know about you, but if I need 3 pork butts smoked for a group outing, I don't want to take 3 days to do it!  I know you've seen this statement, but I can't emphasize enough that you can always smoke less in a 3, but never more in a 1 or 2.

Bottom line?  Let your budget, and needs, make the decision.  Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than a 2, but would get a 3, if able.  Bigger is not always better, but in the case of what is really a "lifetime" smoker purchase, it is.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »
I guess I'm used to cutting my briskets in half, separating the point from the flat. A creature of habit. My old Weber Smokey Mountain would not fit the whole brisket either, so briskets had to be separated onto two racks. Separating also offers flexibility for temping each half separately. The meat/fat composition is quite different between the point and the flat. I like the flat around 193-195, and the point about 200-203. Although with the SI, when I put the point on the lower rack, flat on the upper, they end up being done at the same time. Not sure if that would happen if it was all one piece on the same rack. Might have to compromise on temp a little. If you only use the point for burnt ends, then the point temp is not that important. I generally don't make burnt ends from the point. If you have any doubts at all about buying the #1 vs the #2, I think then you should probably go with the #2, and maybe the #2D.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »
Well said Kari.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RaginCajun

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
I want to thank everyone for the comments, I appreciate it!!! I've made a decision, I'm going to order a #2!!   :D

Ok, next question, do I need to order anything else with it or any other accessories?

I have to order some wood, I've seen a few references from here for places to order from. I will pick up a little variety and start learning with a boston butt and some ribs. Can't wait!!!
Scott

Gonzales, La.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:15 AM »
Does you plan on smoking any jerky or sausages? If so, the James Jerky Dryer (some have made DIY dryers) would be a requirement.

The optional side rails that include extra shelves is nice, but would depend on how many shelves you plan to use. For Jerky and sausages you need a lot of space, so the extra shelves are nice to have.

I am sure you are aware but just in case you aren't, www.smokinlicious.com is a great place to order your smoking wood.

A good wireless thermometer such as a Maverick 732/733 would be good if you do not already have one.

18" wide heavy duty foil (available at Costco/Sam's Club) for lining the bottom of your smoker and smoke box.

Some tin mini-loaf pans to be used as water pans rested right up against the smoke box with your choice of liquid (beer, juice, water).

A brining container of some kind if you plan on brining (which I would strongly recommend). This is what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E0JMCC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2GRXSFH4CWZTC&coliid=I2X3BPXE6S3HSC&psc=1

Others use The Briner/Briner Jr:
The Briner Product Site
Cabelas - The Briner

This should be a pretty good start for you.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RaginCajun

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
Hey Greg thanks for the info!!!! I just placed an order with smokinlicious and then read your comments, perfect timing!!!

I've never thought about jerky or sausage, I'll have to do some more research on that, but thanks for that tip!! And I haven't done a brine yet either so I will investigate that further.

What I enjoyed from reading and researching on this site is all the useful and helpful information people share!!! As a newbie to the real smokin world, I appreciate it a lot!!! Thanks to everyone for their guidance and help! I KNOW I'll have plenty more questions to come!!

Scott

Gonzales, La.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
Beside the point of selecting one of the best electric smokers on the market, you have found one of the primo smoking forums as well.

You will find that that this is a family oriented atmosphere here that avoids some of the off-putting behavior found on several of the other sites.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
Congrats, Scott!!! ;D

Glad to have you in the family, and look forward to swapping Q stories & pics in the coming days!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
Jeez, Gregg from Fargo has it all summed up! That is an answer to copy and paste for a while anyway. Spot on.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 10:19:17 PM »
Jeez, Gregg from Fargo has it all summed up! That is an answer to copy and paste for a while anyway. Spot on.

+1! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas