Author Topic: 3D Meat Probe Problems  (Read 5101 times)

Texan in Tulsa

3D Meat Probe Problems
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:23:10 PM »
I have had my 3D for about a month now and have yet to get the meat probe to work correctly. Yesterday I was smoking a pork tenderloin and had both probes of my Maverick ET-733 as well as the 3D's meat probe inserted in the meat.

The 3D was programmed for 200F until an internal temp of 145F. As the smoker began to heat up, the 3D probe was reading 10-12 degrees higher than the Maverick. On past smokes, I have gotten a AH2 alarm, so I watched this a lot closer to find out what temp the alarm was going off.

At the 1 hr mark, the Maverick was reading 95 and 93 while the 3D was reading 109. I walked away to grab my phone and when I came back the 3D read 110 and then went crazy so I started recording the video in the link below. The display counted down from 110........109, 107, 104, 103, 102, 101, 92, 91, 94, 95, within 30 seconds it was displaying negative numbers and them went right back to the positive and showed as high as 160 when I stopped recording. About a minute after the recording ends, the AH2 and -H- began to cycle in the RH display. I cycled the power off and on and the AH2 alarm continued. 

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  I assume it has to be a probe failure because the smoker temp never waivered and the Maverick now showed the meat temp at 95 and 97.

The video was too large to upload to the forum so this Dropbox link should allow you to view it......at least for awhile so I can get some feedback.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qsh5u8tkyakm6u/20160202_180039.mp4?dl=0
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 3D Meat Probe Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
Andy, give Steve a call tomorrow.  Sounds like a bad meat probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
Andy, give Steve a call tomorrow.  Sounds like a bad meat probe.
Will do Tony. In all your years with the Auber have you ever had one go that crazy? That's actually the second time I actually saw it do the ole countdown.

I still need help in checking the high temp alarm point. The code you gave came up SC-1 which I've read is for the offset. Not sure how to adjust alarm set point.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
Sorry Andy - the AH1/AH2 settings are under Lck code 188.  You can download the Auber 1500GPH instructions from auberins.com.  This will help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
Andy, I have been wrestling this problem, almost exactly as you described it with my box probe.  Have you tried plugging your box probe cord into the meat probe socket to see if it reads right?  I ended up having to send my Auber back to Auber for them to do diagnostics.  They replaced the socket on the Auber since it was happening with different probes. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
Andy, I have been wrestling this problem, almost exactly as you described it with my box probe.  Have you tried plugging your box probe cord into the meat probe socket to see if it reads right?  I ended up having to send my Auber back to Auber for them to do diagnostics.  They replaced the socket on the Auber since it was happening with different probes.
Dave.....the 3D Auber is integrated and the box probe is fixed inside the cabinet. Sounds like I just need a new probe. Planning to contact Steve at SI today to see if he can help.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
I'm just saying that you might find out that it is in the controller.  If you had a spare probe or the ability to use the box probe, you would have been able to determine that.  I first hoped it was the probe and bought a replacement probe just to find out the problem still existed. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »
I'm just saying that you might find out that it is in the controller.  If you had a spare probe or the ability to use the box probe, you would have been able to determine that.  I first hoped it was the probe and bought a replacement probe just to find out the problem still existed.
Talked to Steve on Wednesday and a new probe is on the way. Hopefully this will correct the problem.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:21:04 PM »
Good deal, Andy - bet it will!
Tony from NW Arkansas

JackT

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
Andy, I experience a similar incident the 2nd time I used my 3D with the internal temp probe. After realizing that the wall mounted temp probe had been covered with some dripping fat, that burned onto the probe, I cleaned it completely. Once the probe was clean, I unplugged and reset the 3D. It worked flawlessly after that, but I'm still cognizant of that quirk and make sure that nothing will drip on the temp probe. Hope your issues were resolved.

Jack
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »
Andy, I experience a similar incident the 2nd time I used my 3D with the internal temp probe. After realizing that the wall mounted temp probe had been covered with some dripping fat, that burned onto the probe, I cleaned it completely. Once the probe was clean, I unplugged and reset the 3D. It worked flawlessly after that, but I'm still cognizant of that quirk and make sure that nothing will drip on the temp probe. Hope your issues were resolved.

Jack
Jack I have read of similar problems with the internal probe so I've always wiped it down after use. I received the new internal temp probe on Saturday and am planning to smoke a couple of chickens on Wednesday afternoon, so I will find out then if this cures my problems.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK