Author Topic: 2nd attempt at Chicken  (Read 7520 times)

Moscowbni

Re: 2nd attempt at Chicken
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 04:14:26 AM »
my bad...but didn't seem to make a difference.  Breasts were moist (as was all the rest), and flavor sunk in rather deep.  These were rather small chickens, not the all breast types.  In Kuwait, the chickens are more natural (read this as skinny), and less modified than what you normally get in the states.
Cheers.
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »
I have cooked a goose breast side down, and the breast meat came out much juicier that a breast up one.  I now rest them after cooking with the breast down, which is almost as good at getting the juices back into the breast meat, so your cooking technique may not be a bad idea, especially with a skinnier bird.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 08:24:40 PM »
Stephen, the birds look fantastic!  I used to cook turkey breast-down, when I did them in a pan in the oven.  But, since smoking them in the SI, they are always breast-up.  The reason is heat... The heat source is below the bird, and the dark meat takes longer to cook.  So, with the dark meat down, they tend to cook more evenly; by the time the breast is at 165, the lower dark meat is also perfect.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!