Author Topic: Girlfriend & brisket issue  (Read 9864 times)

Edward

Re: Girlfriend & brisket issue
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
I have Smokinlicious cherry, hickory, & maple. Plan on 6oz but what combo would u do. I did half cherry half hickory last time & it turned out pretty good.
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
I'd stick with the hickory/cherry blend, or straight hickory.  I also love mesquite and oak on brisket.  Brisket can take a strong smoke, unlike some other cuts.

Try and keep the dog food off of it, while it's getting happy in the fridge! ;) ;D ;D

Oh - and fat cap down!  That flat side is pretty naked!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Edward

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
Definitely fat cap down. It's in the house fridge so I'm pretty safe in there. I will stick with the smoke blend then. Thank u for the advice.
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
Can't wait to see the results!  Good luck, Edward!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
Edward, if you divide the cost of your brisket by 10 lbs rather than 15 lbs, what did you pay per pound?  I like my brisket but when I do the math, I just want to buy a prime rib roast anymore. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Edward

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
Dave, about $4.15/lb after the waste. Purchase price was 15lbs @ $2.79/lb= $41.29
10 lb Prime rib roast gotta be over a hundred dollars I would guess. Here I thought I was doing big things with brisket LOL.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
You did well. I think you'll like the result.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
Dave, about $4.15/lb after the waste. Purchase price was 15lbs @ $2.79/lb= $41.29
10 lb Prime rib roast gotta be over a hundred dollars I would guess. Here I thought I was doing big things with brisket LOL.
Yep, that's a good deal right there. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »
I buy the same Prime briskets from Costco. They are great. I trim down the really thick globs. But I tend to leave about 1/2 inch fat cap in the thickest parts (more than most people). That much fat renders down and still gets nice and soft, and I figure people don't have to eat it if they don't want (but it's deliciious). The last one where I weighed the trimmings was 2 pounds of trimmings from a 14.5 pound (original weight) brisket
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Edward

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
I agree they are great from Costco. That is where I purchase most of my meat. I was pretty aggressive trimming this one due to the brown/grayish outer layer. Probably took a little too much off the fat cap too but half of it was super thick up to an inch on a third of it & barely any on other areas. She will go in this evening for an overnighter. I'm planning on 200 ( I have time to spare-its for tomorrows dinner). That will give me time to figure out why the difference in readings from the Auber to my other equipment which is a whole another story that will need a separate thread. Thanks for the help, comments, & suggestions. Happy Friday!