Author Topic: Girlfriend & brisket issue  (Read 9863 times)

Edward

Girlfriend & brisket issue
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:24:30 AM »
So I pulled this packer out the deep freezer the other day. I planned for it to start defrosting so I can smoke next weekend. My girlfriend decides to make dog food & sets a warm batch right on my frozen brisket. So now half of the brisket is completely unfrozen thanks to her & other half solid as a rock. Bag also has a pinhole in it too & blood leaked out. So my question is did she ruin the meat by putting warm container on top of it & it going from frozen to completely thawed? The bag seal being broke now will it be ok in the fridge for another week? $40 Prime I'd hate to have to pitch it. All thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Girlfriend & brisket issue
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
I can't imagine the dog food being hot enough to cause much of a problem. I would let it completely thaw out and continue with your plan of action.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »
And slap a piece of duct tape over the hole!
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Edward

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
Will do thanks! Thanks for the duct tape tip!
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

NVW-SSV

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »
I would have used the duct tape differently but.....
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
I would have used the duct tape differently but.....
There was no specificity as to which or whose hole the duct tape actually covered. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:39:51 PM »
Too bad the fridge was so full, or she could have found another spot for the warm dog food. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Edward

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
The pics above where actually a re-enactment. I had pulled all the pop, beer, wine, & dog food out to clean all the blood up from the punctured brisket bag. I then replaced them few items in there to get the digital image.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »
Nice job, Edward!  I love reenactments! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
Keep the brisket. Keep the dog. Get rid of the girlfriend! ;) lol
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
Keep the brisket. Keep the dog. Get rid of the girlfriend! ;) lol
Zing!
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Edward

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
All this brown/gray meat on the exterior is that from air getting in to the meat? Rinsed it off & it does not have a smell. Should I cut the brown off or will it be ok? Just cleaning it up tonight & doing the 1/2 tsp of kosher salt on it. Tomorrow I will rub & fire in the hole. All suggestions or comments are welcomed. Thanks

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
May have gotten a little freezer burn. I don't think it will be a problem. If it smells fine it probably is. A small hole shouldn't make any real difference. The air getting to the meat is probably what caused it. If it freaks you out, cut it off. There isn't that much discolored.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
I'd give it a little surface trim; that brown part can taste a little "off," but shouldn't hurt you.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Edward

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »
Thank u. It did bother me so I got most of it off. Trimmed all the thick fat & weighed the trimmings right over 5 pounds on a 15 pounder. 5 teaspoons of kosher salt for the remaining 10 lbs. Also tried this Kosmos reserve  blend. I diluted it to about half- 1/4 cup product to 1.5 cups water. Didn't even use it all injected about 12 oz. Hope i didnt goof with trying this. Wrapped up & in the fridge. Will be going on Friday evening for enjoyment Saturday. Just gotta figure out what else to rub it with. Thanks 4 all the help.