Author Topic: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?  (Read 17721 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 06:25:07 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301822597677?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

This might be interesting.

Why would you even sell a vacuum sealer without a seal bar and piston pump? They should just throw that thing out! I have been bidding on slicers for about 6 months and won this one yesterday (link below). Retails for $299+ new. I would never pay $299 for this slicer, because there are a lot better slicers out there for $300, but for 50 bucks, I think it'll do! I only paid $15 shipping, not $28. Ebay is a great place to buy this kind of stuff, because this is just the kind of stuff people buy or receive as gifts, then never really use or use a couple times.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331881803952?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One of the big advantages to a Chef's Choice slicer is the ease of cleaning (compared to other slicers anyway). They are designed for all of the pieces to come apart easily. That's important, or you are never going to want to use it if it is a pain to clean.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:33:08 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »
Well alrighty then since you want to get picky and want one that actually works here you go. This ain't a bad price and you don't find these around for less. Or I haven't seen any. I got one,of these when they were 79 bucks on close out but this isn't a bad price. I have been very happy with it
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-pro-140-external-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-12-seal-bar-and-dual-piston-pump/120VMA140.html
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
I have the same one and also got it for $79. I thought they were discontinued. I think Webstaurant Store is one of the few places that still has them.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:36 AM »
There are some still out there but usually are priced around 200 plus shipping. The link I posted offers free shipping. Not a bad deal at all. If mine quit working I would jump on that.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »
Went to one of the local restaurant supply houses today. They had round Cambro's. But in the Square 12 qt models, they only had them from Carlisle.  They look the same as a Cambro and made in Oklahoma. Anyone seen this maker before?  I picked one up with lid for about $18.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-10724-07-Capacity-Polycarbonate-Container/dp/B004NEWDEA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466804019&sr=8-5&keywords=Carlisle+12+qt
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Amazon does not seem to be the best place for good prices on this stuff. Restaurant supply websites or Restaurant Supply stores are the best. I think if it's polycarbonate, it's pretty much the same thing. I still like Food Service Warehouse the best if you can not buy it locally. But your $18 with lid is a good price.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/12sfscw/p1473305.aspx?selectedProduct=12SFSCW135
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:03:26 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
Agreed!

What size hole do I need to cut in the lid?  Anyone know?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »
Agreed!

Here's a post that discusses it.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4659.0

I still use a couple sheets of plastic wrap (photo attached), and it works great! But the custom lid is a much more elegant solution.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:14:00 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
Agreed!

Maybe this will help...in the Sous Vide section:

Cutting the Lid
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!